X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• madjr
    replied
    Originally posted by MaxToTheMax View Post
    I'm not a marketer, but I play one on television, so...

If these guys want to sell more copies, then I suggest they make a better video for their game's website. Here's what I got from the video:
    • Dull, repetitive level design.
    • Only three weapon types shown, bomb, sword, and fireball, of which only sword and fireball are used.
    • Only three enemy types shown.
    • Underwhelming enemy AI. These enemies look like a bore and a grind, rather than a challenge.
    • Over-the-top damage blur effects used so often that they do not heighten tension, they just make it hard to see.

I realize that this is an alpha and it's not finished yet. I realize also that you can't edit together the "best hits" and still call it a gameplay video. But you definitely should have prominently showcased a trailer instead, and put the gameplay video on another page. As it is now, the video doesn't make the game look very good. I got bored before the video was over, and the video isn't even that long.
    Exactly, you hit the nail there.

i also think crowdfunding site would definetly help.

Is not just about coverage , is about learning to market your stuff real good.

Your ad can be on the Superbowl, but if its not done right is not gona do crap for your sales.

and they cant blame linux users, am sure we've shown more interest in giving them a hand than other users from other platforms who usually dont give a **** about indies and focus on triple A titles.

Leave a comment:

• crazycheese
    replied
    Read the posts of uowaep, his reactions to the crowd answers are really great! Maybe he should take PR part?

Leave a comment:

• mattmatteh
    replied
    tried to see screenshots or a video and all i get is a tiny black window in the middle of the screen. a crappy website is no way to sell something.

Leave a comment:

• Naib
    replied
    Could it actually be that that Tomes of Mephistopheles looks like shit, a concept not many ppl are interested in? nop gotta be zero coverage...
    If Kot In Action wanted coverage on Phoronix they should have said Tomes of Mephistopheles will use SOURCE and there may be a linux client.

Leave a comment:

• dredhammer
    replied
    I actually checked out tomes via the video preview and wasnt impressed with it sure i know its an alpha and things will be changed before final release but it wasnt enough to make me open my wallet for the game, on the other hand i did purchase their first ever DLC for Steel Storm and contributed to Steel Storm 2 development. Also i think they need more of a PR puah on that game i was not aware of Tomes being developed it was only because i visited their store to purchase the DLC that i became aware they were doing another game besides Steel Storm 2. They didnt even advertise the game via the newsletter email sent out to advertise the Steel Storm DLC

Leave a comment:

• MaxToTheMax
    replied
    I'm not a marketer, but I play one on television, so...

If these guys want to sell more copies, then I suggest they make a better video for their game's website. Here's what I got from the video:
    • Dull, repetitive level design.
    • Only three weapon types shown, bomb, sword, and fireball, of which only sword and fireball are used.
    • Only three enemy types shown.
    • Underwhelming enemy AI. These enemies look like a bore and a grind, rather than a challenge.
    • Over-the-top damage blur effects used so often that they do not heighten tension, they just make it hard to see.

I realize that this is an alpha and it's not finished yet. I realize also that you can't edit together the "best hits" and still call it a gameplay video. But you definitely should have prominently showcased a trailer instead, and put the gameplay video on another page. As it is now, the video doesn't make the game look very good. I got bored before the video was over, and the video isn't even that long.

Leave a comment:

• Licaon
    replied
    the other dev uowaep seems nicer: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index...2#post-1999806

Leave a comment:

• Xilanaz
    replied
    your not hitting your monthly banner hits or something ? so you figured what can I stir up again so people start posting... lets see aaah yes last month we had this 70 post long thread... lets see what I can get out of it this month....

question is will motorsep bite or not.... lol sorry but this so called news item is making me laugh

Leave a comment:

• Hamish Wilson
    replied
    And thus came the colliding of two egos... as someone who has had some dealings with both of them, I wish them the best of luck in getting themselves calmed down. Please.

Leave a comment:

• susikala
    replied
    To be honest, just because you _say_ you don't get any money doesn't mean it's true. It's not like it wouldn't fit the general attitude here. You say a lot of stuff, i.e. steam coming to linux, etc. etc. I wouldn't say the lot of it turned out to be true (but I don't think the lot of it was clearly false either, it's just speculations which are kind of grey).

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but I understand this guy. He wants to sell his game, he sees the interpretation phoronix makes for the word 'journalism' (basically equated with 'sensationalism' and 'what sells well'), so he believes he can help getting his game exposed by getting it featured here. He's making you a business offer. Based on a business model you yourself have worked _really_ hard to promote! It's not such a twisted idea, come to think of it.

I just can't take anything that's written here seriously. I mean look at how you formulate your 'news' articles:

Last week I followed up with Kot In Action to see where their sales were pacing, but there wasn't much change. From Alexander Zubov, the founder of Kot In Action, "No, unfortunately not even close to the goal :/ We already have multiplayer working, so once polished enough, we will release another alpha and maybe that will get players interested more."

Now to further address the comments and questions by Phoronix readers that have been brought up recently in the forums wondering how Linux games get covered on Phoronix... With Tomes of Mephistopheles, it's an interesting story.

Alexander Zubov, the founder of Kot In Action, contacted me via email in mid-February. He quickly alleged that Unigine Corp was paying me to promote OilRush on Phoronix, since OilRush "was on the front page of the phoronix.com and Steel Storm was never there."
    Do you assume your readers are so dumb they don't even remember the name and the function of someone over two paragraphs? Seriously...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X