Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• benmoran
    replied
    I really like the fact that you can download FOSS games on Desura too. The game modders out there really make some awesome stuff, but unfortunately most of them seem to just stick with closed source Windows only games. It's too bad because modding and FOSS games seem meant for each other. Modders produce awesome content, which is exactly what these games need. Desura is giving these games a lot of exposure, and I think it's gonna help bring these talent pools closer together.

Leave a comment:

• Cheeseness
    replied
    Glad you enjoyed it

It'll be really interesting to see how things move forward.

Leave a comment:

• mirv
    replied
    Cheers for that Cheeseness.
    It's interesting to read a little about publishing a game rather than simply using it as a client. I've been using Desura a little bit recently, and it's definitely filling a niche others don't with the indie and community focus.

Leave a comment:

• Cheeseness
    replied
    For anybody who's interested, I've also written a review which covers the client itself, what it's like to publish a game, a comparison with similar apps (both on Linux and other platforms), and what sort of impact the public launch of the Linux client might have on the growth of "desktop Linux". Enjoy!

Cheese from twolofbees.com reviews Desura's upcoming native Linux client and gives some thoughts on how this might impact on the perception of Linux as a gaming friendly platform.

Leave a comment:

• Cheeseness
    replied
    Thanks! Part 3 is now live too.

Cheese from twolofbees.com talks to Protektor, Linux Games Lead for Desura, a game/content distribution platform with an upcoming Linux client.

Depending upon how I go time-wise, I'm hoping to do a review of the beta client as well

Leave a comment:

• benmoran
    replied
    I just read the first two parts of your article. Pretty interesting read.

Leave a comment:

• Cheeseness
    replied
    Originally posted by benmoran View Post
    I agree that they don't stand much of a chance on Windows, but sure fills a needed void on Linux.
    Actually, they claim to be filling a niche on Windows for independent developers who can't get attention from Steam. Mod support has been a big thing and they've brought quite a community across from ModDB (which has been around for a decade or so now) by the looks of things.

I recently did an interview with Desura's Linux Games Lead about the development of the Linux client, what it's like to scout for native and Open Source games, and what impact the native client might have on the Desura and Free Software communities.

Part one and part two are live and part three should be up soon.
    Last edited by Cheeseness; 24 September 2011, 04:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Desti
    replied
    Originally posted by benmoran View Post
    Seeing as though Steam and Origin don't exist on Linux, this is the only closed-source distribution platform there is. It's also fairly benign compared to Steam and Origin, since it's completely DRM free. All games can be run without the client running.

It also seems to be running OK on most distributions, unlike Ubuntu Software Center. I use Ubuntu myself, but there is no way I would purchase anything from the USC. Ubuntu is the dominant OS now, but it may not be forever. Desura runs on any distro, so I think it's a much better solution.

Tarballs are fine, but a pain in the ass to keep updated. Give it an honest try before you dismiss it. I agree that they don't stand much of a chance on Windows, but sure fills a needed void on Linux.
    Most games have in-game update functions, so even a simple tarball would be easy to update for the user. The point of Desura is not the software system, it is the one place shop system, which is important for the game developers to easy sell Linux games to customers international and have a good place to advertise their new games. No one will buy a Linux game, if he doesn't know that it even exist.

Leave a comment:

• mirv
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    Yet another closed-source distribution platform? That's great, who doesn't love running Steam, Origin, (now) Desura all at the same time for the same purpose? Advice to indie developers: Ubuntu Software Center + tarballs is a better investment for Linux deployment.

Anyway, good luck to them. They'll need it.
    You seem to think that everybody is using Ubuntu. They're not.
    Desura runs on Linux, can be used to keep all your games up to date easily, and doesn't look to try take over the rest of your system. If you have a problem with that being closed source, I guess you'll have a problem with any game that's closed source too and so it's not meant for you anyway.

Leave a comment:

• benmoran
    replied
    Seeing as though Steam and Origin don't exist on Linux, this is the only closed-source distribution platform there is. It's also fairly benign compared to Steam and Origin, since it's completely DRM free. All games can be run without the client running.

It also seems to be running OK on most distributions, unlike Ubuntu Software Center. I use Ubuntu myself, but there is no way I would purchase anything from the USC. Ubuntu is the dominant OS now, but it may not be forever. Desura runs on any distro, so I think it's a much better solution.

Tarballs are fine, but a pain in the ass to keep updated. Give it an honest try before you dismiss it. I agree that they don't stand much of a chance on Windows, but sure fills a needed void on Linux.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X