Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remco
    replied
    I bought the bundle. I was convinced by the source release of Jack Claw. I must say that I'm a little disappointed. Jack Claw has source available, right, but it is released under an obnoxious non-commercial license. So, it's not open source. This doesn't inspire much motivation to replace all the bad parts of the engine (Fmod, DirectX, PhysX, Windows Media), and it can't be used to create games to be included in a Linux distribution (this is even explicitly forbidden).

So it's pretty much useless.

Leave a comment:

• bdhamp
    replied
    Underwhelming

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
    So compared to previous bundles... This one might feel underwhelming as a whole. Or one might say people were spoiled by the previous ones.
    Though I'm still going to get it.
    This.

I purchased this bundle and paid the same as I did for the previous two. I am satisfied by my purchase. However, I made the purchase this time more out of a sense of duty to supporting Indie games and games for Linux specifically.

Unfortunately, this bundle only really has three playable games for Linux, two of which are almost identical. I got more out of the previous bundles, more variety and more enjoyment.

Those who don't do this primarily to support the idea probably don't feel as motivated.

Leave a comment:

• AnonymousCoward
    replied
    Slow down

Maybe it slow down because linux users wanted open source games, mac users changed to linux or windows, OR, maybe it slow down because some game launched and steal all the attention.
    I am not sure, but i believe the a company called valve released a new game, they are calling Portal 2, you guys should check its a nice game.
    Seriously, i dont know the other gamers, but, for me its difficult to came here instead of play Portal 2.

Leave a comment:

• TLE02
    replied
    @DoctorPhil
    I don't care about the games becoming free software. It is nice if they do, but it is not a requirement. My opinion on what should and what should not be free software (and when it should become it) is more Erik Raymond'esk. What I do care about is that they make native Linux clients. That is why I was so enthusiastic about the first two bundles (well actually I missed the first one, but got as part of the second one and made a second donation).

@snuwoods The fact that game developers make native Linux clients means that we should be grateful, not that we should just take whatever comes out of it and never say another word. About the Oilrush game I think this whole thing about the Linux community being ungrateful because we haven't thrown money at the pre-order is a little exaggerated. It isn't even release yet for crying out loud. I'll buy it when it is released, simply because they are as Linux friendly as they are. But since I like the single player (campaign) part of games, and that is one of the things still not finished, I really see no reason to buy it now. And what about consumers that would just like to see a review or two of the final product before they buy it. Why don't we wait until it is actually released before we declare it a disaster.

About running these games on embedded GPU's you are probably right. I mean, I don't follow neither games nor drivers religiously, so I don't think it is something that you can expect people to know. But now that I check, it turns out that the Humble Bundle actually have a page with hardware requirements. I just assumed that they were simple, low weight, games like the other ones. So there I spoke before I thought.

Leave a comment:

• skeetre
    replied
    I had never even heard of Trine until this bundle. I missed out on the bundle 1 and 2, by a day or 2 each time... so when I got word of the 3rd one, I just grabbed it up. Maybe they should let them go on sale for a longer period of time. I don't care for the shadowgrounds games, but I like Trine. Haven't tried the other 2 at all. I do like the fact that I get a linux and a windows version included, so whichever one I'm booted into I can play without having to reboot just to play one particular game. One reason I'm playing NFS Pro Street instead of Hot Pursuit 2010. Pro Street works great on wine in linux, the other doesn't.

Better advertising is still the key, same with OilRush. People just haven't heard of them. I asked 3 people at work that are gamer/linux knowledgeable and none had heard of OilRush or the Humble Indie Bundle. One had heard of World of Goo and said he heard it was for sale to pay whatever you wanted... but didn't know it was part of a bundle.

I haven't had time to play Trine much, I've been testing out my new Vertex 3 HD but I really feel like I've already got my money's worth out of OilRush and it hasn't even been released as a full game yet.

Leave a comment:

• PsynoKhi0
    replied
    If you check the archive page for the first bundle you'll notice they did $1,2M from 138,813 sales.
    As of now, Frozenbyte's bundle has made 135,168 sales, pretty close.
    AFAIK Trine has been quite a hit, so there may be less of an incentive to buy that bundle. Shadowgrounds 1 and 2 aren't really that different, there is little information about Splot, and Jack Claw isn't a full game.
    So compared to previous bundles... This one might feel underwhelming as a whole. Or one might say people were spoiled by the previous ones.
    Though I'm still going to get it.
    I do hope Frozenbyte sets up a feedback page once the bundle wraps up.

Leave a comment:

• Benjamin_L
    replied
    I agree with snuwoods. It has never been claimed by the HIB creators that all the games are open sourced afterwards so stop whining and show that linux people want to have games too.

Leave a comment:

• snuwoods
    replied
    I usually agree with free-software zealotry, but I find myself at odds with people complaining about the HiB. Proprietary or not, this is an opportunity to represent the linux gaming market. This is one of the few times that the linux community can put their money where their mouth is, and what happens? People complain. The same thing seemed to happen with Oilrush, and it's disheartening. I doubt that I'll even play the games in the pack soon, but I still contributed $15.

On another note, it's relatively naive to expect that integrated gpus should run a game that relies on Physx.

Leave a comment:

• Vadi
    replied
    One of the games is already open-sourced there.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorPhil
    replied
    I don't know how other poeple reason, but I was kind of upset when only one game was released as Open Source after the success of the second bundle. Pehaps it was more poeple than me who felt "betrayed" when the games in the second bundle wasn't Open Sourced?

As it looks now it's only one game which will be Open Source in this bundle, and I'm simply not interested in financing proprietary software. However, if all or most of the games is released as Open Source I'll gladly buy the bundle. I would be interested in seeing how many others are thinking like me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X