Total War: WARHAMMER III Linux Performance Across 24 NVIDIA / AMD GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jabberwocky View Post
    that article is around the level of the verge's pc build video.
    rofl lmao

Comment

Too bad I'll have to play it through proton to actually make use of the multiplayer. Can I second (or third) the request for comparison testing between native port and proton version?

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

I would expect that some intensive graphical feature on linux is missing and is only implemented as stub that does nothing.
        This would be supported by the difference in video memory used between Windows and Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

This would be supported by the difference in video memory used between Windows and Linux.
          Not necessarily, I presume VRAM usage is ~80% textures and ~20% game transient data, including what GPU drivers need.

Actually I own FarCry 5 and I could run the tests but I'm too lazy :-)

Comment

Originally posted by spykes View Post

Maybe or it's simply a windows driver bug/ bad implementation (it happens as well).
            The bad implementation of AMD's DX11 for RDNA2 is the most likely culprit.

But still, translating DX11-to-Vulkan on modern GPU architectures will allow games to run faster, even on Windows + AMD.

Couple that with Linux's superior RADV Vulkan driver, and such a performance difference suddenly isn't that much unbelievable.

What really stood out to me was the lower VRAM usage by DXVK, because the lead dev had said in the past that DXVK is not optimized for efficient VRAM utilization, so great to see that it at least handily beats AMD's native DX11 driver on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Not necessarily, I presume VRAM usage is ~80% textures and ~20% game transient data, including what GPU drivers need.

Actually I own FarCry 5 and I could run the tests but I'm too lazy :-)
              I mean, Linux using far less VRAM could be an indication it's not doing the same work as it does on Windows. If, for example, there's a mipmapping issue, the Linux version would need fewer maps in VRAM.
              But it's just my guess, I couldn't say what was really going on over there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
                If all games showed a "62.52% margin as compared to those on Windows 10 Pro 21H2" while keeping the same graphical fidelity then everyone and their dog would be installing Linux and every tech YouTube channel would be talking about it.
                Completely not true. Linux owns Windows in CPU benchmarks and there are still more people using Windows. It seems people are afraid of change or they're just dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I mean, Linux using far less VRAM could be an indication it's not doing the same work as it does on Windows. If, for example, there's a mipmapping issue, the Linux version would need fewer maps in VRAM.
                  But it's just my guess, I couldn't say what was really going on over there.
                  That makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                    Completely not true. Linux owns Windows in CPU benchmarks
                    Usually only when imbeciles run benchmarks who don't notice obviously botched results.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Completely not true. Linux owns Windows in CPU benchmarks and there are still more people using Windows. It seems people are afraid of change or they're just dumb.
                      Yes it must be afraid to change or dumb, it can't be anything else. /s

People want things that just work. That just isn't the case with Linux:

1) https://www.protondb.com/explore?sort=mostBorked (over 1000)
                      2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlg4K16ujFw (Gaming on Linux is NOT Ready... - Daily Driver Challenge Finale)

I've been a big Linux fanboi since Loki Entertainment and LinuxGamers.net ... it's been over 20 years that I've supported and donated to various projects and developers. We have come a long way in terms of gaming and general system use. If there's one thing that I have learned over the past years is that supporting hardware vendors (middleman) is more important than supporting game developers. It's wonderful to see developers port games like Total War: Warhammer III and I will continue to buy basically every Linux game that is published but I've seen studios come and go.

If you really want people to use Linux then you need to support companies that ship Linux preinstalled System76 and Steam Deck are the best options at the moment IMO. Alternatively Dell, Lenovo, or others Asus/Slimbook/Purism(old hardware)/Pinebook(Arm) who provide official Linux support for their hardware. You need the entire system to work out of the box and work really well before you can really start to market the products.

Comment

Working...
                      X