X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SystemCrasher
    replied
    Let's use systemd.

Hopefully they will migrate to systemd soon. Using upstart (as init) and systemd (as bunch of helpers and somesuch) is kinda silly. Not to mention half programs in Ubuntu are still using ancient init crap scripts, which are horrible to say the least. Honestly, I would prefer only systemd to manage my system and no other crap. Sysv init scripts are awful and ways to manage startup sequence are exceptionally crappy. And upstart ... while it is not that bad, it definitely losing to systemd in terms of features I would like to see.

Leave a comment:

• cocklover
    replied
    Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
    I'm excited... Not so much for systemd(-init) (I liked the ideas behind upstart a bit better), but for:
    * less fragmentation between Linux distros
    * the journal. Which gives much better, more consistant information on the state of your PC.
    I don't believe neither of those features, first of all there was never fragmentation, at least at the beggining, then Cannonical developed his own service manager and we have 2, but upstart was a ubuntu thing only, but sure it was available on Centos 6( I Believe). Then it arrive systemd to and the real fragmentation started. Gentoo with his own, other guys developing another service manager, forking systemd and removing bloatware. So there is framentation right know cause of systemd. And there will be more and more. Cause not all people like systemd.

While I don't know if Apache sends logs to systemd, at least right know on Ubuntu I have to indicate a file for every virtual host on the configuration. Journalctl it looks like a tool to read texts logs. While It looks like useful, it could make things broke if developers start to send logs to systemd and that same package is used on a non-systemd distro. But, that's not new on systemd and is the cause of the trouble of using alternate init and service manager. The hard deppended packages of systemd

Unity 8 and xfce session are still upstart jobs and need to be converted to work as systemd unit(?) as some other packages:

Leave a comment:

• asavah
    replied
    Originally posted by stevenc View Post
    best get the popcorn ready if they're releasing 15.04 with this...
    Can I have some popcorn ?
    And I suggest you get a nice cup of STFU.

Please note: NOT a Pottering fan here.

Code:
    lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
    Description:	Ubuntu Vivid Vervet (development branch)
    Release:	15.04
    Codename:	vivid
    Code:
    uname -a
    Linux C10 4.0.0-rc2-c10-p-rt+ #13 SMP PREEMPT Tue Mar 3 22:44:29 EET 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Code:
    ls -alh /sbin/init
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Feb 27 10:04 /sbin/init -> /lib/systemd/systemd
    Works flawlesly since the first moment I upgraded 14.10 to 15.04 alpha1.

Leave a comment:

• justmy2cents
    replied
    Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
    I'm excited... Not so much for systemd(-init) (I liked the ideas behind upstart a bit better), but for:
    * the journal. Which gives much better, more consistant information on the state of your PC.
    only until you start digging into all the features. at that point upstart, sysv only exist as bad dream.

there is one other thing that will be really positive for move on systemd. it seems cockpit is receiving a lot of love for ubuntu too, at least on mailing list. cockpit is just awesome

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by gens View Post
    you are a sysadmin that administrates cloud things ?
    No, just a power user who plays a lot with his computer.

Leave a comment:

• gens
    replied
    Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
    Finally! No more stupid upstart behavior. When I install something it doesn't mean I want to have it started automatically. When I want to disable some service I don't want to mess with stupid configuration files and put strange things in there. I want to be able to disable it via a simple command. Welcome, systemd. You're saving my time!
    you are a sysadmin that administrates cloud things ?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Finally! No more stupid upstart behavior. When I install something it doesn't mean I want to have it started automatically. When I want to disable some service I don't want to mess with stupid configuration files and put strange things in there. I want to be able to disable it via a simple command. Welcome, systemd. You're saving my time!

Leave a comment:

• gens
    replied
    "Cloud is when somebody else reboots your machines."

Leave a comment:

• stevenc
    replied
    It's been the default in Debian sid/jessie for over a year? And still it's the cause of many release-blocker issues there; it's caused some users and developers to leave that distro. Ubuntu plan to switch to and be able to release with it in the space of about 6 weeks?

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
    idn't the esteemed forum members (zealots) here get all emotional over Ubuntu not using systemd? You'd think that they'd be appeased.
    Sure, among Ubuntu users there'll be some who were hyped about it but this could be the first time they've actually used it; some who specifically don't want it; and many who didn't know/care about it yet who are about to get a taste of it. This should be fun to watch.

Leave a comment:

• gQuigs
    replied
    excited

Leave a comment:

Working...
X