• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vim_User
    replied
    Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Systemds adoption has reached critical mass by now
    Any numbers on that? As far as I know, Ubuntu is still by far the most used distro.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    He didn't push pulseaudio down everyones throat. Ubuntu decided to be an early adopter and packaged a less than ideal config and so it became the quasi-standard way too early.

Also, if someone creates multiple projects which end up being picked up for the default configuration of most bigger distributions because it works better than the alternatives chances are, you're not more intelligent than him.
    You've apparently never visited any major distro's bugzilla.....

Leave a comment:

• funkSTAR
    replied
    Message to all the idiots

Ok neckbeardos so Lennart busted all your myths. Too bad for you. Now STFU and accept your new master. Systemds adoption has reached critical mass by now and in a short while only a few sys'd refuseniks will remain and die out like the dinosaurs.

Leave a comment:

• ulenrich
    replied
    Originally posted by danielbot View Post
    It should not be a goal at all. Having the udev maintainer and systemd maintainer be the same person is a recipe for disaster.
    It is not the goal of the Linux kernel community to abolish Udev. Systemd developers only can make some interesting offers in this regard.
    Untenable situation in my opinion. Obviously, the temptation to leverage udev to accelerate the demise of systemd competitors must be strong, and chances are, irresistable.
    How about then the last turmoil about udev and firmware?

The result was doing some more directly in the kernel. Thus to minimize the complexity of Udev once more. Shouldn't it be the other way round if they conspire by utilizing Udev to promote Systemd:
    They should instead widen the use of Udev and its complexity just to make us more dependend ...

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Didn't mention that systemd is closely tied to udev and journald and that there is a dependency there and people are forced to use it.
    Not to mention the depandancy of a bootloader and memory management in the kernel! The next thing you know is that

Leave a comment:

• hristo.venev
    replied
    Originally posted by systemd anals bsd
    Only people who love to present their asses for M$ and Apple to penetrate us vi or vim.

Get a life and use GNU EMACS or just burn yourself

vi sucks.

EMACS rulez
    I have the feeling that this guy's favourite text editor is Notepad or MS Word.

Leave a comment:

• Vim_User
    replied
    Only people who love to present their asses for M$ and Apple to penetrate us vi or vim.

Get a life and use GNU EMACS or just burn yourself

vi sucks.

EMACS rulez
    So more than half of the developers of your beloved Linux kernel present their asses to Microsoft and Apple, including people like Greg Kroah-Hartman. That is funny.

Also, still waiting for your code, so that we can see if it is as messy as you claim to the BSD code to be.

Man, you suck as a troll, Phoronix has seen much better trolls already, go home, make your homework and come back if you are a full blown troll, not a clueless 12 years old.

Leave a comment:

• Vim_User
    replied
    systemd is the best, all who disagree are dirty BSD proprietary whores
    Man, your penis must be so small that you have to troll the forums about an operating system. You complain about the code quality of the BSDs?
    Well, how about showing us your code? Do you even know how to code?

Leave a comment:

• Rigaldo
    replied
    True, there are other priorities for now. If the kernel would move to a more modular(if this is the correct characterization for what i mentioned) it would be beneficial, for testing drivers among other things.

On another note, I wonder if Ubuntu will eventually also transition to Systemd.
    I had read something about not considering it reliable enough yet and there might be a switch after the coming LTS, but that's rumors.

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Originally posted by Rigaldo View Post
    Well, I can't see how relying in the sheer absence of bugs for stability would be good practice under any circumstances. Preventing a problem is just as important as being able to deal with it once it arrives(cause it usually will).
    An approach closer to a micro-kernel regarding the drivers would seem better in my opinion at least. And yes, I've gotten multiple kernel panics/crashes with at least nouveau lately ..
    The micro-kernel part I'm talking about is kind of like Windows handles it. It would probably need more changes than just the kernel though, to do the graphics driver part as well though(being able to reload the driver without [basically] rebooting, since it seems Xorg will crash anyway, so all apps will too).
    I do wish you could reload the driver without rebooting but for now, with how limited performance is already, I can understand why they want to keep in kernel for best performance. Once we get it right kernel-side and we know how to get the most performance out of the drivers, with all the optimizations, then we can start experimenting on things like that. Right now we need as much performance as we can get because we're not getting all that much to begin with (in comparison to amd and nvidia blobs).

As far as nouveau... nouveau just want through a massive re-write kernel-side so bugs/panics will probably happen until all the kinks get worked out with the new code. Make sure to file a bug though if you think you can give enough detail to give the developers an idea of whats happening :P

Leave a comment:

Working...
X