X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a2r-l
    replied
    Originally posted by Teho View Post
    Linus has also said that he likes many things about systemd, thinks it's interesting and shows a lot of promise. Source.
    He also said the following:

LinuxFR : Do you think systemd is a huge improvement in comparison to SysV init ? Is it a game changing technology ?

Linus Torvalds : I also will take a somewhat wait-and-see approach, it's not widely enough used yet. I do think bootup performance is important, and anything that helps that, and helps make it more flexible is a good thing. Would I call it "game changing"? Probably not.

source: http://www.preguntaslinux.org/20-ano....html#pid23925

Leave a comment:

• Vadi
    replied
    I read those lkml links and I certainly agree with Linus on the "don't break things" philosophy. Kay seems to have a nilly-willy attitude about it - "oh it's broken, oh we'll fix it sometime... don't fuss guys".

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    Probably Lennart was not the one to blame here since it wasn't his fault that Kay broke udev.

Leave a comment:

• Thaodan
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Haha, I hadn't seen that

Link for the curious:
    https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/2/303
    fix already applyed on in Arch systemd.

Leave a comment:

• Teho
    replied
    Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
    Lennart Poettering the "Two-faced lying weasel" as Linus Torvalds calls him. --- Fuck him and SystemD !!!
    Linus has also said that he likes many things about systemd, thinks it's interesting and shows a lot of promise. Source.

Leave a comment:

• strcat
    replied
    Kay Sievers was also the udev maintainer before it was moved into the same repository as systemd to share code, and this problem (the 30 second timeout issue) predates that. The followup conversation between Kay and Linus is right there: https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/3/263.
    Last edited by strcat; 23 October 2012, 01:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Haha, I hadn't seen that

Link for the curious:

Leave a comment:

• Rallos Zek
    replied
    Lennart Poettering the "Two-faced lying weasel" as Linus Torvalds calls him.

Fuck him and SystemD !!!

Leave a comment:

• strcat
    replied
    Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
    One thing i dislike that systemd brings are binary log files.
    There's no reason you can't keep using syslog-ng/rsyslog with systemd, and the distribution can make it work out-of-the-box (as syslog-ng does with systemd on Arch).

The journal provides structured logging (fields of data, with text or binary data like a network packet), indexed by fields, and with features like inline compression. Other loggers have been moving towards structured logging too for quite a while, rsyslog being one of the leaders (binary formats too). It's true that journald could have used a pre-existing format like sqlite3, but it wouldn't have been as specialized for the use case. The journal file format is documented on fd.o, and there's a backwards compatibility guarantee. You can also easily export the contents as text, if you desire.

The journal is simply another choice, that brings a different set of tradeoffs to the table.
    Last edited by strcat; 23 October 2012, 01:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Thaodan
    replied
    One thing i dislike that systemd brings are binary log files.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X