• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
    STOP. PLEASE. JUST.....STOP!!!

Even RMS quit his bitching about Qt. Go back to using your Ubuntu.
    STOP. Wait for 12.04, because current one is using mono. ;>

Leave a comment:

• DaemonFC
    replied
    Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
    NEWSFLASH. The Qt owners are already hurting linux phone producers.
    STOP. PLEASE. JUST.....STOP!!!

Even RMS quit his bitching about Qt. Go back to using your Ubuntu.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    I just read this whole thread, and I feel like i need a shower

So much mud

Leave a comment:

• Teho
    replied
    They want to crush Linux smart phones.
    That article doesn't refer to any patents related to Linux. The patent mess is sickening but simply suing a company that happens to use Linux doesn't make them anti-Linux. Microsoft's Android patent fees are example of anti-Linux activity but as far as I know that has nothing to do with Nokia and even less Qt.

But with your logic Oracle is an example of a company that is "prolinux" that has sued "prolinux" companies (Google Android's Dalvik (has nothign to do with Linux itself ofc)).

Leave a comment:

• funkSTAR
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    Companies suing other companies in the field with the biggest litigation mess? how shocking! From the article it sounds like it's all hardware patents, there is no mention of Qt or software at all.
    I gave you an example where Nokia teams up Microsoft to do a full blown patent attack on Android players. An yeah this also includes other patents than software patents. Because Nokia and Microsoft means business. They want to crush Linux smart phones. Now you show another example where a "prolinux" company sues another "prolinux" company. There must be plenty right? Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    LOL. Digia is promoting Qt commercial for having these extra bugfixes! IT IS OPEN CORE BUSINESS. It it just was a unfortunate mistiming it would never end up in marketing.

So it is not a matter of Digia being sorry about this "mishap" is their business model for christs sake.
    ... Of course it's going to end up in the marketing, Marketing types are going to latch onto anything they can get their paws on period.

The simple fact of the matter is that none of the Digia people had access to the repositories to do commits which you would know if you'd read the mailing list that was linked in the article, that is being fixed now.

and as addressed above their website clearly indicates that they're in the support business, not the software sales business. It's much as Redhat has RHEL but there's also CentOS, Scientific Linux, etc..

Enough about Digias open core business model. Now onto Nokias shameful patent attacks against Linux. Nokia wanna do it in style so the team up with Microsoft.
    Microsoft is party to the just-announced deal between Nokia and Mosaid, a Canadian patent licensing firm. The Redmond company has a "passive economic interest," its officials are saying.

They are hunting down phone producers whom deliver Android phones.
    Companies suing other companies in the field with the biggest litigation mess? how shocking! From the article it sounds like it's all hardware patents, there is no mention of Qt or software at all.

Leave a comment:

• funkSTAR
    replied
    Evil

Originally posted by Teho View Post
    Because few patches didn't make to Qt in time? You gotta to be fucking kidding me. I doubt that Digia even has right to do that as it would be harmful to Nokia and Qt in general.
    LOL. Digia is promoting Qt commercial for having these extra bugfixes! IT IS OPEN CORE BUSINESS. It it just was a unfortunate mistiming it would never end up in marketing.

So it is not a matter of Digia being sorry about this "mishap" is their business model for christs sake.

Enough about Digias open core business model. Now onto Nokias shameful patent attacks against Linux. Nokia wanna do it in style so the team up with Microsoft.
    Microsoft is party to the just-announced deal between Nokia and Mosaid, a Canadian patent licensing firm. The Redmond company has a "passive economic interest," its officials are saying.

They are hunting down phone producers whom deliver Android phones.

Leave a comment:

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    NEWSFLASH. The Qt owners are already hurting linux phone producers.
    NEWSFLASH, All Phone Producers are suing each other

see:

Do you know why? Because Linux is truly free. Free from having an antilinux owner like Nokia who will scare alot of contributors away. I never said companies shouldnt og couldnt contribute. I hope they will. But not in the form of CLAing rights to Microsoft strategic partner. Having Nokia own a toolkit is as stupid as having Oracle own OOo. And now we even have seen the star om the open core business model through Digia.

Sorry but no piece of sofware is worth that.
    I'm against CLAs too, however at this point in time they are under contractual obligations and having been working on becoming more open. They went for being primarily LGPL on it under Nokia, as opposed to segmenting it into the commercial and free software segments. They then recently established the Qt-Project which largely has governance over the toolkit. In all likelihood the CLA will end up being removed within the next few years if not at the Qt 5.0 release.

Digia itself from my perusing of their site makes their money the same way Red Hat does which is to say support contracts.

Leave a comment:

• Teho
    replied
    Free from having an antilinux owner like Nokia who will scare alot of contributors away.
    Now how exactly is Nokia anti-linux? They have been developing Linux based phones since 2003 and Qt toolkit is probably supported best on Linux.

And now we even have seen the star om the open core business model through Digia.
    Because few patches didn't make to Qt in time? You gotta to be fucking kidding me. I doubt that Digia even has right to do that as it would be harmful to Nokia and Qt in general.

Leave a comment:

• funkSTAR
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    The Simple fact of the matter is that there are thousands of companies that work on the linux kernel, here let me list a few big names:

Red Hat
    Novell (Now Attachmate)
    AMD
    Intel
    HP
    IBM
    Google
    (and here in this list just for you) Microsoft
    Do you know why? Because Linux is truly free. Free from having an antilinux owner like Nokia who will scare alot of contributors away. I never said companies shouldnt og couldnt contribute. I hope they will. But not in the form of CLAing rights to Microsoft strategic partner. Having Nokia own a toolkit is as stupid as having Oracle own OOo. And now we even have seen the star om the open core business model through Digia.

Sorry but no piece of sofware is worth that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X