Clear All

• loonyphoenix
    replied
    Thanks! (character limit...)

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by loonyphoenix View Post
    I get confused about all these different benchmarks. Is there a description of all the profiles somewhere?
    http://openbenchmarking.org/tests/pts

Leave a comment:

• loonyphoenix
    replied
    I get confused about all these different benchmarks. Is there a description of all the profiles somewhere? The names of the benchmarks are certainly not very descriptive. For example, for me the main factors in IO performance are:

1) Random write/read of small files (this is 90% operations of a desktop user).
    2) Sequential write/read speed (you are copying/moving files)
    3) Parallel sequential write/read speed (you are copying two big files at once -- ideally the combined speed should be the same as (2), but in reality it is often much lower)

Which benchmarks do I need to peruse to find out how the filesystems do in the described workloads?

Leave a comment:

• illissius
    replied
    I'm not sure if the inclusion of a plain HDD was per my request, but either way, thanks. The results were similar on some tests, but also very different on some others, so I think it's a good idea to keep doing it.

(I would assume the ones where the differences were greatest are the most seek-heavy workloads, which also seem like the ones it's most important to optimize in the mechanical HDD case.)

Leave a comment:

• loonyphoenix
    replied
    Ext3 has barrier=0 as default? Really? Seems strange.

Isn't that a distro-specific thing, though, default mount options?

Leave a comment:

• stan
    replied
    BTRFS sucks for most relevant benchmarks - SQL

Why does BTRFS suck so much for the SQL benchmark that matter most to desktop users (ie. can be directly traced to the performance of firefox's website database)?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X