X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• misiu_mp
    replied
    Originally posted by kebabbert View Post
    It seems you dont really understand what I am talking about.

How can Google notice if there is a corruption in a file? Many storage solutions (filesystems, hw raid, etc) can not detect all corruptions, especially not Silent Corruption.
    We were saying that google doesn't need to notice, because their data (such as multimedia) is not that sensitive to bitflops. As you said, an error in metadata will make it detectable, but they will then just use another copy. The data needs to be distributed and multiplied in the first place to balance the load and achieve low latency in different geographical locations.

When have I lost an argument? Can you please link to a post that shows I loose an argument or when I redefine it?
    Loose is the opposite to tighten. You meant to say lose.
    You lost because you've been shown a viable use for a system trading data integrity for performance, something you claimed was unimaginable.

In fact, I suspect you have lied in other posts as well. For instance, you claimed that New York Stock Exchange are very happy now:
    Discussion of *BSD operating systems and software, including but not limited to FreeBSD, DragonflyBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD. Mac OS X, GNU Hurd, and other alternative operating systems can also be discussed.

I doubt you know people at NYSE, and from your earlier well known track record I suspect you make this one also up. Because I work in finance, and I have heard the opposite. As has frantaylor, who explains that NYSE is very very cautious about their Linux switch:
    Discussion of Solaris-based operating systems including OpenSolaris, Oracle Solaris, Nexenta, and BeleniX.
    http://lwn.net/Articles/411022/:
    "In summary, NASDAQ OMX seems to be happy with its use of Linux. They also seem to like to go with current software - the exchange is currently rolling out 2.6.35.3 kernels. "Emerging APIs" are helping operations like NASDAQ OMX realize real-world performance gains in areas that matter. Linux, Bob says, is one of the few systems that are willing to introduce new APIs just for performance reasons. That is an interesting point of view to contrast with Linus Torvalds's often-stated claim that nobody uses Linux-specific APIs; it seems that there are users, they just tend to be relatively well hidden. "
    The comment of frantaylor (from september 2009) reads the following:
    Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
    The IT people at the NYSE lose their entire yearly bonus if their uptime drops to less than 99.99%. They use Linux, but it took a 15 year migration project to get off of HPUX. Even so they use way too much hardware and alarms go off if any machines have a load average of more than 0.1. They do not believe in putting any kind of a load on their machines, they are afraid of performance slowdowns. They know full well that Linux does not behave well under load.
    I dont know what does he have to support that statement, but it seems that the NASDAQ OMX has chosen linux specifically for the performance benefits. Go figure. Besides none of this has anythig to do with file systems (the article is mostly about networking performance).

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied

How can Google notice if there is a corruption in a file? Many storage solutions (filesystems, hw raid, etc) can not detect all corruptions, especially not Silent Corruption.
    Nope, once again you missed the part where i said "THEY DON'T CARE" if they don't know. Because they're willing to trade a rare error that probably won't ever be spotted in exchange for speed/money. Lots of their search indexes are constantly being updated, anyway, making any error short-lived. And it wouldn't surprise me if they kept crc codes or something to detect errors on long-term files like youtube, where they could always spot an issue by comparing the files they have across different servers for any difference.

How many times are you going to make me repeat myself?

Leave a comment:

• Jimbo
    replied
    @KDesk

You don't get that type of errors!!. If a small corruption occurs lets say 1 bit, convolution code can repair it and you get your original data, if a big error occurs , crc detects it and you get a read error. If you put a 400 in your excel you don't read 800 when there is an read error.

What CERN is talking about?

CERN reported errors are special corner case of RAID 5 arrays, when the firmware!!! (not the file system) of the raid controller is introducing an error due to malfunction, it is writing data on wrong places, then you get this type of corruption, its a corner case, on raid 5 arrays and only few controllers are affected. ZFS can workaround this rare error, others file system doesn't.

On raid controllers complaint with T10 Data Integrity Field standard, this bug doesn't exits, you can setup your raid 5 safely using ext4.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    When have I lost an argument? Can you please link to a post that shows I loose an argument or when I redefine it?
    Sure, how about this one from just a few posts up?

You are describing a safe solution.

We talk about unsafe solutions, where corrupted data is allowed.
    Skipping over the rest of the stuff where you accuse me of lying, because frankly i'm not even interested in going over this again...

I doubt you know people at NYSE, and from your earlier well known track record I suspect you make this one also up.
    No i don't, i read an article about it in the Wall Street Journal, and have heard news reported from other sources as well. If you're claiming some super-secret inside knowledge, then OK. But everything I've heard publicly reported was that they were very happy.

Leave a comment:

• KDesk
    replied
    Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
    What stupidity and nonsense!!, you clearly prove that you don't understand what is BER, silent corruption, CRC , convolutional codes and theory of information!!!

Please don't speak of things you don't know or understand.
    Then, explain it to us, please.

Leave a comment:

• Jimbo
    replied
    You dont understand what Data Integrity is.

It is not about a disk crashes or something similar. It is about retrieving the same data you put on the disk. Imagine you put this data on disk: "1234567890" but a corruption occured so you got back "2234567890". And the hardware does not even notice the data got corrupted. This is called Silent Corruption and occurs all the time.
    What stupidity and nonsense!!, you clearly prove that you don't understand what is BER, silent corruption, CRC , convolutional codes and theory of information!!!

Please don't speak of things you don't know or understand.

Leave a comment:

• kebabbert
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    In their case, they have multiple copies of the data scattered around the world and so whenever 1 copy gets corrupted they just take it offline and serve the data from somewhere else until it gets replicated back again.

Leave a comment:

• kebabbert
    replied
    We are, whenever Kebabbert loses an argument he tries to redefine it.

On the other hand, I can show links where you lie. For instance, here you claim that you have proved me wrong, and I ask you to show that. You never showed links where you "prove me wrong", because there are no such links. False claims about me.
    Discussion of *BSD operating systems and software, including but not limited to FreeBSD, DragonflyBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD. Mac OS X, GNU Hurd, and other alternative operating systems can also be discussed.

Here I show that you lie again.

In fact, I suspect you have lied in other posts as well. For instance, you claimed that New York Stock Exchange are very happy now:

Didn't the NYSE recently switch from Unix to Red Hat, and that's about as mission critical as things come. From everything I've heard, they've been extremely happy with Linux since the switch.
    I doubt you know people at NYSE, and from your earlier well known track record I suspect you make this one also up. Because I work in finance, and I have heard the opposite. As has frantaylor, who explains that NYSE is very very cautious about their Linux switch:
    Discussion of Solaris-based operating systems including OpenSolaris, Oracle Solaris, Nexenta, and BeleniX.

So, again, show me links where I loose an argument, or when I redefine the argument. Most probably you can not show those links about me because there no links, so this is probably your normal FUD, just as usual.

Leave a comment:

• squirrl
    replied
    The comedian

Multimedia files don't glitch because of the bad bytes, it's the compression algorithm.

File-systems are fault-tolerant. You run RAID arrays to ensure data consistency. If your data is seriously important you run n mirrors.
    Where n is a safe number you expect to contain the fault.

Tso's analysis comparison between Football and Software Development is a case of playing Sideline Quarterback. Nobody knows what will work until they are playing the game. We've been playing for years and the coaches aren't listening.

Development needs to slow down. The Phoronix tests demonstrate an actual Football game. Scenarios are the practices most teams run in preparation for a big game. Stat the Quarterback's speed, food capacity, urine content, and IQ all that you won't you'll never see what's he's capable of unless you got him catching snaps and slinging pigskin.

To measure performance, Kernel Developers are looking at raw data which is WRONG! User experience is more important. Linus, Andrew, and etc can't seem to grasp the majority don't have 6-core chips and 16 GB's of ram. So we perceive time relative to moving GB files and the mouse staggering across the screen. We have patches to fix that problem but Coach Linus isn't in a hurry to put the rookies' code on the grill.

Tso and everyone else, refer to the kernel tests over 5 years article. 2.6.14 nailed "176MB/s with the Linux 2.6.14 kernel."

Consider that with a responsive system as well. When you're pumping a hell of a lot of data on a responsive system you get a snazzy feeling. I suggest testing on an Acer Aspire.

I use a 600Mhz Pentium 3 and 1 Ghz Celeron for my least cases. You went to college, remember The Scientific Method. Remember The Scientific Method.

--
    If you're going to do something then do it right or don't do it at all
    If doing it the right way ends up breaking things; then do it the wrong way
    squirrl

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    As mentioned before, Google is a good example of a company willing to trade performance for data integrity. I brought them up originally because i believe they are the ones who created the no-journaling patch for ext4.

In their case, they have multiple copies of the data scattered around the world and so whenever 1 copy gets corrupted they just take it offline and serve the data from somewhere else until it gets replicated back again. In fact, they have to do this no matter what FS they use, because they use so much hardware they are constantly getting defects going on. The disks physically stop working, and at that point if they don't have another copy they're screwed anyway.

Furthermore, in case there is a small error the chances of any customer actually seeing it are very slim. Most likely it will show up as a small speck on a video file, or perhaps 1 character wrong in a search result somewhere (buried 100 pages down in the results list). Compare that to performance, which affects every single user the have all the time. They've done studies where slowing down the response time by only a few tens of milliseconds directly results in much fewer searches being performed, so that makes a big difference in terms of how much advertising revenue they bring in. So it makes sense that they would do this.

Now, obviously with something like finance it's not acceptable to mess up a number. That's a different situation, and probably even a more realistic situation for more people. It's just not the only one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X