Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Systemd/Microsoft Effort For A Global Counter On Block/Disk Changes Coming To Linux 5.15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• teknoraver
    replied
    Originally posted by Filiprino View Post

You can time-out and retry. It's a distributed system, it's a network. TCP, UDP... right?
    Imagine you have a non well-behaving device and you don't time out... you'll be stuck forever waiting for it if you assume an event will always happen.
    Completely wrong. This is not TCP or UDP. This is not even IP networking, events are passed by the kernel to an userspace handler.

Leave a comment:

• teknoraver
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I wonder if this developer had any experience with the Windows kernel code.
    I would love to read an article by someone with experience with both the Linux kernel and the Windows kernel, and to hear opinions, impressions, preferences, pros/cons, and such.
    I have zero experience with Windows code.
    I don't know people with experience with both kernels.
    Maybe the Red Hat developers which maintain the VirtIO Windows drivers can give you some insight.

Leave a comment:

• Filiprino
    replied
    you cannot tell whether it's because the right uevent has not arrived yet, or it was already sent and you missed it. So you cannot tell whether you should wait for it or not.
    You can time-out and retry. It's a distributed system, it's a network. TCP, UDP... right?
    Imagine you have a non well-behaving device and you don't time out... you'll be stuck forever waiting for it if you assume an event will always happen.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Same man, same. I'm 35, gonna be 36 in September. I haven't watched really in over a decade. But the 90s era with Ultimate Warrior, Macho Man, Undertaker, and those guys and then the Attitude Era in the '2000s with Stone Cold, The Rock, Mankind, etc. Best times. Some of these dudes are still around (Undertaker). incredible. Got lots of respect for wrestlers and wrestling.
    Ditto, change the month to November.

Leave a comment:

• perpetually high
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    perpetually high
    That had an F the last time I watched it.
    Same man, same. I'm 35, gonna be 36 in September. I haven't watched really in over a decade. But the 90s era with Ultimate Warrior, Macho Man, Undertaker, and those guys and then the Attitude Era in the '2000s with Stone Cold, The Rock, Mankind, etc. Best times. Some of these dudes are still around (Undertaker). incredible. Got lots of respect for wrestlers and wrestling.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied

perpetually high
    That had an F the last time I watched it.

Leave a comment:

• perpetually high
    replied
    andyprough walking into the thread like

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Oh not another flamewar- Take cover! Take cover!

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by waxhead View Post
    Oh no... Yet another article with both Microsoft and systemd in the same sentence... This might be entertaining!
    Oh not another flamewar- Take cover! Take cover!

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    I wonder if this developer had any experience with the Windows kernel code.
    I would love to read an article by someone with experience with both the Linux kernel and the Windows kernel, and to hear opinions, impressions, preferences, pros/cons, and such.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X