Amazon's DAMON Might Finally Be Ready For Upstreaming Into The Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon's DAMON Might Finally Be Ready For Upstreaming Into The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: Amazon's DAMON Might Finally Be Ready For Upstreaming Into The Linux Kernel

At the start of 2020 Amazon engineers sent out a "request for comments" around DAMON as a new kernel feature to monitor data accesses and can be used for purposes like analyzing over-committed memory use, debugging, and other optimizations. DAMON has now seen thirty-four revisions to the patches but it looks like it could finally be in a state for mainlining in the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Data mining right from the kernel, using YOUR hardware to reduce the load on their datacenters. Bill M$ forgot to think about that...

Comment

they should have called it DEMON

Comment

Originally posted by DL9220 View Post
        Data mining right from the kernel, using YOUR hardware to reduce the load on their datacenters. Bill M$ forgot to think about that...
        It's probably that attitude that's responsible for Linux's OOM killer still being garbage. How are you going to fix the problem if you don't have an open-source (i.e. auditable for data exfiltration) way to monitor how programs use memory?

Comment

squint squint, I smell evil...

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

It's probably that attitude that's responsible for Linux's OOM killer still being garbage. How are you going to fix the problem if you don't have an open-source (i.e. auditable for data exfiltration) way to monitor how programs use memory?
            Try looking up something on Ali and then wonder why Amazon is bombarding you with 'better' offers.... A commercial corporation does never do anything for free.

Comment

Try looking up something on Ali and then wonder why Amazon is bombarding you with 'better' offers.... A commercial corporation does never do anything for free.
              They probably just want the Linux kernel devs to maintain it for free as internal kernel APIs get rewritten. That's typically the reason you upstream something that's not part of your business's secret sauce.

Comment

They probably just want the Linux kernel devs to maintain it for free as internal kernel APIs get rewritten. That's typically the reason you upstream something that's not part of your business's secret sauce.
                Like I said, nothing comes free...

Comment

Like I said, nothing comes free...
                  And? That's what the kernel devs chose to agree to. you upstream something and they'll refuse to accept contributions elsewhere that change the APIs it depends on without also updating it to stay in sync.

Comment

way to monitor how programs use memory?
                    man proc

Comment

Working...
                    X