Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Top Linux 5.7 Features From Apple Fast Charge To Official Tiger Lake Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Top Linux 5.7 Features From Apple Fast Charge To Official Tiger Lake Graphics

Phoronix: The Top Linux 5.7 Features From Apple Fast Charge To Official Tiger Lake Graphics

Assuming no last minute concerns, the Linux 5.7 kernel is set to debut as stable this weekend. Given all the weeks since the merge window and our many articles covering all the feature activity at that point (and not to be confused with our activity of new work being queued for the upcoming Linux 5.8 cycle), here is a look back at some of the top features of the Linux 5.7 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not that interesting for me (compared to say 5.5 or 5.6). I think it's great that Renoir support has improved, however it seems that all devices featuring those CPUs require some sort of compromise, so far I haven't seen any with Thunderbolt for example...

Comment

It'll be nice if the 4000 series desktop parts just work with an up to date distribution when they're released next month. AMD has a spotty track record in that department where we tend to need up-to-date with stuff from git thrown into the mix. If that's changed to just up-to-date, then good for them.

nils_ With Thunderspy, that might be a good thing. Thunderspy+State Sponsored Hacker=Noob Friendly Plug and Play Hacking. All those shows and movies where a non-techie plugs something into a PC and waits for a progress bar to finish...that's Thunderspy in action.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        It'll be nice if the 4000 series desktop parts just work with an up to date distribution when they're released next month. AMD has a spotty track record in that department where we tend to need up-to-date with stuff from git thrown into the mix. If that's changed to just up-to-date, then good for them.

nils_ With Thunderspy, that might be a good thing. Thunderspy+State Sponsored Hacker=Noob Friendly Plug and Play Hacking. All those shows and movies where a non-techie plugs something into a PC and waits for a progress bar to finish...that's Thunderspy in action.
        Pretty sure those 3x00 XT announcements mean the 4000 series won't hit till late Q3 at the earliest. Think late September. That gives them another kernel release cycle to get everything in check.

Comment

My new Ryzen 4000 laptop just arrived and I find Kernel 5.6 very buggy for me. I hope 5.7 fixes all my issues.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post

Pretty sure those 3x00 XT announcements mean the 4000 series won't hit till late Q3 at the earliest. Think late September. That gives them another kernel release cycle to get everything in check.
            They already have 4000 laptops out and, if you know AMDs naming/numbering scheme, their APUs are +1000 over the CPUs of the same generation....or a 4000 series APU is a 3000 series CPUs, a 3000 series APU is a 2000 series CPU, etc. Since the CPUs that the 4000 series APUs are based on are already released, the APUs themselves shouldn't be too far behind. By releasing some 4000 APUs in laptops a couple months before the desktops come out, I'm hoping that's AMDs way of getting some out to the community to generate some buzz (which they are) and getting some in the hands of developers to get last little bits ironed out.

Rumor mill is saying around July 16th for their release. We can only hope.

4000 series CPUs, OTOH, I'm right there with ya on the Q3 at the earliest. Those will actually be Zen 3 (or whatever they call what's past Zen 2).

Comment

Working...
            X