Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.2 Kernel Released As The "Bobtail Squid"

Phoronix: Linux 5.2 Kernel Released As The "Bobtail Squid"

Adding to the excitement of 7 July is the release of the Linux 5.2 stable kernel, which also means the opening of the Linux 5.3 merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Here is a bobtail squid

It is a deep sea species so he probably didn't see it live. Yet, hard to find a cuter inspiration for a release name.

Comment

Apparently that's the best fun you can have as a kernel dev.

Comment

Will upgrade to it once kernel 5.2.5 is released. I'm fed up with regressions which have led to data loss. There've been too many of them recently.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Will upgrade to it once kernel 5.2.5 is released. I'm fed up with regressions which have led to data loss. There've been too many of them recently.
          no data loss here on Tumbleweed. Also no Samsung SSDs.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            Apparently that's the best fun you can have as a kernel dev.
            It's Torvalds who's quite a passionate scuba diver.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              no data loss here on Tumbleweed. Also no Samsung SSDs.
              1. dito
              2. all Samsung - But NO, no data loss.

Any new knowledge?

Comment

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post

1. dito
                2. all Samsung - But NO, no data loss.

Any new knowledge?
                I was always a bit confused by this issue. My main drive is a 512GB Evo 850 and I didn't hear about the data corruption issue until after I'd been running 5.1 for awhile. However then I read it only manifested with specific LVM encryption setups, but then later read elsewhere it affected other system configurations as well. But I never had any problems.

In any case, I'm going to compile and test it now. I'm always frightened when I use the first release of any software, but can't help myself when it comes to kernels Of course I keep everything backed up all the time though.

Comment

Frak these stupid nicknames (for Kernel revisions..!). Useless garbage invented by a-holes.

Comment

Getting some graphical corruption on Linux 5.2 on my Raven Ridge laptop (2500U). Rolling back to 5.1.16 fixed it. Arch Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X