Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dungeon
    replied
    Testing and Unstable are Debian's development branches, so only developers and experienced users should use that again if they want... majority of Debian userbase or about 80% actully uses Stable or Old-Stable/LTS. Development in Debian userbase in whole reperesents maximum 20% but i think even that number is overestemated maybe i can agree on stronK 15% potentional on average which is again not actual percentage of fixed usersbase but just average potentional I even think percentage is similar to any community, even of Windows - amount of enthusiasts are similar to any community on average and only depends how much OS allows you to play with it, etc...

That also because there are users among these 15% who *must* use Testing or Sid particulary when hardware is too much new, drivers or envs are not yet developed so well yet or so, so they need to roll a bit... so yes if someone buy entirely new fresh gen hardware and drivers are not there yet i recommend running testing/sid and _git_of_all_ of particular if they can, but how time passing maybe in 6 months to 12 months period even these largely doesn't need to roll anymore.
    Last edited by dungeon; 13 June 2017, 11:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PuckPoltergeist
    replied
    Originally posted by waxhead View Post

Depends on how you look on things I think. You are correct that Debian testing does not get security fixes, but what is a security fix really?!
    Security fixes are supplied as soon as possible. As long as you can live with 0days, Debian testing may be an option for you. If not, you should take a distribution, that provides fixes in time.

Leave a comment:

• waxhead
    replied
    Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post
    Debian testing doesn't get any security fixes. Debian testing may break anytime, but will only be fixed, when new packages coming from unstable. Do you really advertise this to users? I've used Debian testing a long time, I know what I'm speaking of. For experienced users it's ok, but you really should know what you're doin here!
    Depends on how you look on things I think. You are correct that Debian testing does not get security fixes, but what is a security fix really?! Normal bugs are security problems too and testing is usually updated quite frequently when problems are reported. So in some ways you can say that security fixes for testing are pointless since packages are constantly migrated from unstable. In the freeze period people are fixing bugs anyway. Even stable may have tons of security bugs that nobody except a few crackers have found.

Leave a comment:

• PuckPoltergeist
    replied
    Originally posted by JMB9 View Post
    Nice read - most people are on stable - just kidding? Stable is predominantly on servers.
    Actually I am using Ubuntu 17.04 - but I will give 9.0 a try, clone it and make that partition testing.
    For desktop users it had always been advantageous to use testing over stable - there had been breakage,
    but only once in while. People frequently using Windows or macOS may call this stable.
    In science institutes testing was used ...
    Debian testing doesn't get any security fixes. Debian testing may break anytime, but will only be fixed, when new packages coming from unstable. Do you really advertise this to users? I've used Debian testing a long time, I know what I'm speaking of. For experienced users it's ok, but you really should know what you're doin here!

Leave a comment:

• JMB9
    replied
    Nice read - most people are on stable - just kidding? Stable is predominantly on servers.
    Actually I am using Ubuntu 17.04 - but I will give 9.0 a try, clone it and make that partition testing.
    For desktop users it had always been advantageous to use testing over stable - there had been breakage,
    but only once in while. People frequently using Windows or macOS may call this stable.
    In science institutes testing was used ...

The point with XFCE is correct - *but* this affects stable, too. With Xubuntu 17.04 using it
    in a minimal way, it works - but configuring several DE things and that panel must be
    restarted frequently.
    XFCE was unstable in Trusty - and still is - and is a charm in Xenial - and may be not so well
    behaved in upcoming 18.04 - if it does not stabilize extremely fast.
    Who makes the decision to mix components which are not intended to fit together?
    Don't ask that question ... you won't get an answer which sheds light on that reasonable
    question (but don't be astonished if the t**** word will be included in the `answer' .

And yes, desktop software should be updated more frequently than Debian and even Ubuntu does.
    I am using more and more PPAs every release (even for vim) - and recommend it even to
    not-too-much experienced friends.

After working 10 years in science and more than 10 years in industry (Linux, AIX, HP-UX, Solaris),
    I have always fun with people discussing stable/testing/unstable/PPAs/rolling etc.
    From my perspective the Firefox-model should be adopted for most desktop components, too.

And after my experience it is a compliment to be called a troll these days. )
    Even by developers or maintainers. Nice times - and better ones ahead. ;-)

There had been a time SW was created for users ... a long time ago in a land far, far away,
    where you saw playing young GNUs and meditating TUXes all over. ))

But yes, Debian 9 is a huge event - influencing the most-used desktop distributions.

Leave a comment:

• waxhead
    replied
    Originally posted by towo2099 View Post
    It is a waste of time writing any facts to debianxfce, he knows all better.
    The greatest joke of him in that thread was "debian testing does not freeze", what a enlightenment of his knowldge of debian.
    I another thread i had a great lol about "journalctl needs root", what a "fact".
    Correcting certain individuals may be a waste of time yes, but there are others reading these threads too you know so I think that correcting mistakes is worth it.

Leave a comment:

• towo2099
    replied
    Nice times will come, when the debian freeze is over and his super stable debian testing will break, after the update doors are open and testing is flooded with broken packages and ongoing transitions.

Leave a comment:

• PuckPoltergeist
    replied
    The greatest joke of him in that thread was "debian testing does not freeze", what a enlightenment of his knowldge of debian.
    I another thread i had a great lol about "journalctl needs root", what a "fact".
    Biggest LOL was, when he was requested by AMD developer to stop spreading bullshit in the bugzilla. Either he is a very god troll or really dumb, because of not listening too and learning from others.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    They're "alternative facts". Keep with the times.

Leave a comment:

• towo2099
    replied
    In another thread i had a great lol about "journalctl needs root", what a "fact".
    Last edited by towo2099; 13 June 2017, 03:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X