X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by babali View Post
    Not every benchs depends on your desktop...

If you run disk IO benchs, or httpd benchs, then it depends on your kernel, filesystem, hdparms, ...

I don't think that John the ripper depends on KDE for its performances.
    If you happen to use a heavy desktop that steals X % cpu, it will show in any cpu-using bench. Not even mentioning the horrible trackers and indexers.

Leave a comment:

• babali
    replied
    Well, the install docs are really small.

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    Sounds like it's turning into Gentoo - without the advantages

Leave a comment:

• Yoshi
    replied
    @TheCycoONE
    I understand that but the new method is even more complicated, I would say. So maybe the get the complete opposite of what they wanted to achieve. Personally, i'll try out the new method and will see how far i can get with the wiki etc. With AIF i didn't need to look in the wiki at all. So yeah, for me it's a step backwards. But I'm sure i'll learn a lot while trying it out to get it up and running.

Leave a comment:

• TheCycoONE
    replied
    Originally posted by Yoshi View Post
    Dropping AIF makes it even harder for "beginners" to get Arch up and running...
    I've gotten the impression that they don't want any more users who can't read a wiki and transcribe commands to bash.

Leave a comment:

• babali
    replied
    Not every benchs depends on your desktop...

If you run disk IO benchs, or httpd benchs, then it depends on your kernel, filesystem, hdparms, ...

I don't think that John the ripper depends on KDE for its performances.

Leave a comment:

• markg85
    replied
    Finally!

Just a few days ago i had to reinstall a machine where i've used the - then latest - arch net install. Bunch of updates, small other changes. Yeah, a new installation iso was really needed.

Leave a comment:

• nightmarex
    replied
    I use Arch but I doubt his tests would differ because he would set up his Arch install like a Ubuntu box for fairness. Not to mention that setup isn't likely to be the same as your Arch. Example here's mine....

uname -a
    Linux (censored) 3.3.6-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun May 13 10:52:32 CEST 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Notables...

LXDE (openbox), flgrx 12.6, alsa, xorg-server 1.11.4-2

Doubt he would test it like this ^ lol.

Yeah I don't update everything every notch so what? =p runs good this way.

Leave a comment:

• Yoshi
    replied
    Dropping AIF makes it even harder for "beginners" to get Arch up and running...

Leave a comment:

• ninez
    replied
    I use Archlinux, but i actually see little point in benchmarking it against Fedora / Ubuntu - i personally don't think the numbers would be that interesting, as they weren't very interesting in the past;

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

essentially, every Archlinux install is different anyway, since the user starts with a bare / core system and builds what they like from there. So unless the user has gone through with ABS and rebuilt the entire system with all sorts of (proper) optimizations, as well as other customizations - i highly doubt we'd see any big differences, if at all.

there may be newer versions of software (that are improved) that may give Archlinux a lead in the odd spot, but then again, it's also possible there may be regressions.

Either way, it would be difficult to put any stock in Archlinux benchmarks because of the nature of the distribution; bleeding-edge, do-it-yourself, no 'standard' Archlinux setup, etc.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X