Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dcc24
    replied
    One of the proposed codenames, Pamukkale ("cotton castle"), is a Unesco World Heritage Site in Turkey, consisting of travertines and springs. Sounds better than "Spherical Cow" I guess...

Leave a comment:

• Ancurio
    replied
    Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
    And also what a complex bit of analysis, to determine that the PulseAudio devlopment process is bottlenecked by the Fedora naming process. I'd really like to see the reasoning that went into that.
    Is it even still being developed? Haven't seen a new version for months.
    Not that it really matters to me though, it has never failed me once
    during the last 2 years I've been using it.

Leave a comment:

• frantaylor
    replied
    ???

Is "Spherical Cow" a reference to the old thermodynamics exam question?

Or maybe it's "abominable", which is obviously followed by "noble"

When I see people complain about PulseAudio, I imagine they also complain about the weather and the number of hours in the day.

And also what a complex bit of analysis, to determine that the PulseAudio devlopment process is bottlenecked by the Fedora naming process. I'd really like to see the reasoning that went into that.

Leave a comment:

• tbelvin
    replied
    Embarrassing.

Leave a comment:

• ejs1920
    replied
    The Fedora codename leads to some themes for artwork which may affect the default wallpaper. Fortunately wallpapers from past releases remain available in the package repository if you don't care for the new one. Beefy Miracle so far just has some fairly generic fireworks wallpaper. If nothing else, you get to learn how to set a system default the dconf way.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by randomizer View Post
    Picking a codename is the best part of a project. At work I'm currently part of projects codenamed "spicy sausage" and "magic banana". They have absolutely no connection to the work involved, but are much more interesting than, say, "data visualisation version 2".
    Indeed. To me, "12.04" means nothing, it's the same as "11.04" and "10.04". Two numbers separated by a dot. "Precise Pangolin" means a lot more - it's something memorable, and still shows clearly that it's a later release than the previous ones. "Beefy miracle" is also memorable, although I don't think I remember a whole lot of their earlier codenames. I recall "Leonidas", since it's also a Lithuanian name, but not much other than that... I guess they are just not used very often, people still tend to say "Fedora XX" instead of using the codenames.

Leave a comment:

• Hirager
    replied
    I think that this the exact reason Red Hat council (Do I remember right? I don't have time to check.) took so much time to post the "chosen ones". The poll to drop code names sure is a sign of their frustration. I imagine just how depressing it is to look for a representative names in the sea of such nonsense...

Leave a comment:

replied
    This list is embarrassing, especially as a Fedora user.
    I agree, the way code names are in Fedora are useless. They do not really symbolize anything about the particular release. The ubuntu codenames are just as silly as "Beefy Miracle" and this list, but at least they mean something to the particular release. They certainly are much better about it than just letting a bunch of random people come up with an idiotic name and voting for them, that is the sad part, people actually voted for them.

Leave a comment:

• Ancurio
    replied
    Originally posted by garegin View Post
    how about fixing pulseaudio instead of thinking up meat product names
    how about fixing pulseaudio instead of posting on forums

Leave a comment:

• randomizer
    replied
    Originally posted by Hirager View Post
    I personally am tired with this whole codename concept. To me, code names are absolutely useless.
    Picking a codename is the best part of a project. At work I'm currently part of projects codenamed "spicy sausage" and "magic banana". They have absolutely no connection to the work involved, but are much more interesting than, say, "data visualisation version 2".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X