X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• szymon_g
    replied
    Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Wasn't the whole point of Gentoo as a distro is that it was source driven in a FreeBSD port's style?
    it's the best of two worlds; you can still recompile and install everything you want from the source if your heart desires that. or you can install stuff quicker

Leave a comment:

• szymon_g
    replied
    apart from, now seemingly abandoned Sabayon, is there a gento-compatible ready-to-use out of the box version of gentoo? I'd like to install it and then recompile over night. but i have to have a working system first

Leave a comment:

• SigHunter
    replied
    Gentoo is just awesome and can do everything. Never will I need or want any other distro. I'm on gentoo since at least 2012 on multiple devices and recently even my gaming pc

Maybe I'll switch some packages on my old 2009 dualcore laptop to binary, there I'm already using -bin versions of some very heavy packages (libreoffice, firefox, thunderbird, rust, kernel) but until now, not everything was available as binary, e.g. gcc or qtwebengine, which should now be possible (havent tried the new thing out yet)
    Last edited by SigHunter; 30 December 2023, 06:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oguzoztoprak
    replied
    Originally posted by oleid View Post

Hm, but what about -march=native?
    I usually deviate little from the defaults, but build for my CPU.
    Valid reason, getting the best out of a CPU should be a choice.

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied
    Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    Fantastic, this lowers the barrier to entry.

This is the opposite of gatekeeping and a great way to pump up the number of users.

Once inside the Gentoo Camp these users can gradually learn what they need to know instead of all upfront.

Gatekeeping is the opposite of what you want if you want to be anything other than niche.
    Wasn't the whole point of Gentoo as a distro is that it was source driven in a FreeBSD port's style?

Leave a comment:

• oleid
    replied

I'll leave out the points I have no information on.

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
    I[LIST][*]I assume as a community project there's no BS with gimped Mesa / codecs on AMD graphics?
    Correct

[*]How about ZFS on root?
    I recently installed Gentoo on an old laptop with zfs root. That was the first time I was using ZFS. Booting was done via initramfs built by dracut. What can I say, I didn't encounter any real issues.
    Last edited by oleid; 30 December 2023, 04:00 PM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• oleid
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Many packages simply don't need compiled at install time, so long as use flags and cflags are the same the binaries will be the same Just use sane cflags and keep your use flags to a bare minimum and most packages should install binaries.
    Hm, but what about -march=native?
    I usually deviate little from the defaults, but build for my CPU.
    Last edited by oleid; 30 December 2023, 04:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx
    replied
    I distro hop a lot, but have been coming back to Tumbleweed for the last few years. It's been many years since I played with any of the BSDs, and somehow I've never messed around with Gentoo. For the hardcore Gentoo penguins out there, what are the most important things to you that keep you with the distro?

And more specifically, how well does Gentoo deal with things like these that can be a PITA on some distros?
    • I assume as a community project there's no BS with gimped Mesa / codecs on AMD graphics?
    • How slick / stable is the Nvidia support? And on Optimus setups?
    • How about ZFS on root?
    • Any automated snapshots and easy rollback methods that you use?

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    So, Archlinux won.........

Leave a comment:

• ElectricPrism
    replied
    Fantastic, this lowers the barrier to entry.

This is the opposite of gatekeeping and a great way to pump up the number of users.

Once inside the Gentoo Camp these users can gradually learn what they need to know instead of all upfront.

Gatekeeping is the opposite of what you want if you want to be anything other than niche.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X