Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Details Initial Plans For Immutable Linux Desktop With Ubuntu Core & Snaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

The use case of packaging system services and drivers. Is that something that can be done with Flatpak? I haven't seen any command line app packaged as Flatpak, let alone system services or drivers.
    CLI-Apps are possible. It just sucks to work with them later on, because you basically run them via

Code:
    flatpak run org.example.cli
    System services, udev rules and drivers - the system management stuff, is not possible as this would require native running parts that hook into the real operating system, while flatpak can only run inside a sandbox.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I'm a big believer of security via obscurity ...
      I knew you are one of the last Win 3.11 users ;P

Comment

Will this be a rolling release Ubuntu then? Or do they still stick with the 24.04, 26.04, 28.04... base for the "gadget", "kernel" and "base"? What about the desktop environment, will it stay at the LTS GNOME/KDE version?

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

Flathub has you overed for all 3 cases already.
          For these 3 applications there are also snaps.

Comment

Does that means no more PPA? Does that means application developer will FINALLY stop distributing their app with repositories and will have to distribute them as snap or flatpak instead?

Comment

I also wonder if DEBs will still work if needed, because sometimes stuff just isn't available as a SNAP.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

The use case of packaging system services and drivers. Is that something that can be done with Flatpak? I haven't seen any command line app packaged as Flatpak, let alone system services or drivers.
                I am using flatpak for GUI apps and distrobox/toolbox for legacy apps and command line. The advantage of distrobox is that my development system is independent of my base system. So there no updates problems anymore because I can update my development system individually.

Comment

Originally posted by MadWatch View Post
                  Does that means no more PPA? Does that means application developer will FINALLY stop distributing their app with repositories and will have to distribute them as snap or flatpak instead?
                  No, but only because we can't do everything with Snaps or Flats or AppImages or ???. Critical system components can't be done with those app distribution methods. Critical non-kernel system components have to be part of the base system, not loaded by the base system. By critical system components I mean things like an up-to-date Mesa, if you use an NVIDIA GPU, if your wireless driver ships as DKMS, etc.

Think of Snap/Flat as like Steam or Epic games for Linux apps. You don't go to Steam, Epic, Snap, or Flat for AMDGPU-Pro. You go there for SuperTuxKart and Gedit.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

No, but only because we can't do everything with Snaps or Flats or AppImages or ???. Critical system components can't be done with those app distribution methods. Critical non-kernel system components have to be part of the base system, not loaded by the base system. By critical system components I mean things like an up-to-date Mesa, if you use an NVIDIA GPU, if your wireless driver ships as DKMS, etc.
                    I agree. This is why I said "application developers" and not "system component developers".

Comment

Originally posted by Estranged1906 View Post
                      I also wonder if DEBs will still work if needed, because sometimes stuff just isn't available as a SNAP.
                      I guess the immutable system will be based on DEB, like openSUSE Aeon and Fedora Silverblue is based on RPM. Not long ago, there was a news here, that Ubuntu is currently implementing a snapshot function in Debian APT. Given the nature of snapd, more features of the core system could be realised via snap, than it would be possible with a flatpak system.

EDIT: Heres the link:
                      Debian's APT 2.7 Packaging Tool Begins Rolling Out "Snapshots" Support - Phoronix
                      Last edited by Malsabku; 01 June 2023, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X