Benchmarking The Linux 5.19 Kernel Built With "-O3 -march=native"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

What if i dont need performance. I never said what the server is used for.
    Alright, what are you using it for that compiled binary size is more important than performance? It makes sense for OpenWRT because there's often a constraint like, "the board only has a 128 MB non-replaceable flash chip on it".

Comment

Originally posted by yump View Post

Alright, what are you using it for that compiled binary size is more important than performance? It makes sense for OpenWRT because there's often a constraint like, "the board only has a 128 MB non-replaceable flash chip on it".
      And why do you keep making baseless assumptions about my system? I despise people like you with a passion.

Comment

And why do you keep making baseless assumptions about my system? I despise people like you with a passion.
        I made no assumptions about your system. I explicitly asked about your system.

And I keep nothing. That was my only interaction with you in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by yump View Post

I made no assumptions about your system. I explicitly asked about your system.

And I keep nothing. That was my only interaction with you in this thread.
          You have replied 3 times to me now with nonsense. What a waste of time. And yes you made assumptions about my system otherwise you would not harass me about my system specs which you could have asked about instead of passive agresive bs

Comment

You have replied 3 times to me now with nonsense. What a waste of time. And yes you made assumptions about my system otherwise you would not harass me about my system specs which you could have asked about instead of passive agresive bs
            Link the first reply please. You may find that you misread the username.

I did not ask about your specs. I asked about your use case. I mentioned specs because you used the word "server" and the only place I know of -Os being used is not something I would call a server. So yes, I suppose I assumed that you aren't running 20 year old hardware.

passive agresive bs
            "I have an special reason for using -Os, but I won't say what it is, tee hee hee!"
            Last edited by yump; 25 July 2022, 08:00 AM.

Comment

As long as you show hostility instead of curiosity you will never know. There is no point in conversing.

Comment

Originally posted by Barley9432 View Post
                And the entire benefit of Gentoo gone out the window with a single article... nice
                Even if this article showed (it doesn't) that there were no benefits to kernel and userspace compiler flag optimization across all architectures, this would not ruin "the entire benefit of Gentoo."

Certainly global gcc flag optimization can or has been counter-productive for Gentoo users, so this is not totally crazy. However, ftr, enabling global compiler flag optimization in Gentoo wouldn't optimize the kernel. Just userspace libraries, and executables. Not even all of them, as there are a bunch of black/white-lists in various package recipes. But, whatever. Let's just pretend/assume it's always 100% pointless or counter-productive to optimize compiler flags, for now, and ignore the kernel/user-land distinction.

Regardless, the goals and value proposition of Gentoo are far from eliminated. If you're thinking "Yeah, sure. Everybody knows nobody ever used any Gentoo features except compiler flag optimization" check out this wayback capture from before Gentoo 1.0, way back in 2001 (emphasis mine):
                Portage allows you to set up Gentoo Linux the way you like it -- with the optimization settings that you want, and with optional build-time functionality (like GNOME, KDE, mysql, ALSA, LDAP support, etc.) enabled or disabled as you desire. If you don't want GNOME on your system, your apps won't have optional GNOME support enabled, and if you do, then they will. That's why we prefer thinking of Gentoo Linux as a meta-distribution or Linux technology engine. You decide what kind of system you want, and Portage will create it for you.
                This meta-distribution concept -- especially 'use-flags,' which in Gentoo determine how system software dependencies are configured before "build-time" even starts -- was not some sort of post-ricer-meme retcon -- it seriously was the actual vision of Gentoo, more-or-less right from the beginning.

I've already wasted too much breath. Gentoo will always be reducible to -funroll-all-loops for some folks. Admittedly this is a funny and not wholly undeserved criticism of a certain class of Gentoo user. Or at least it definitely used to be.

But, for the record, I highly doubt compiler optimization is the main benefit of Gentoo as perceived by most people using Gentoo today in any long-term capacity, or as a serious development tool of any kind.

Ask either of them, they'll probably back me up! XD

Comment

Working...
                X