CentOS Stream 9 Improves Performance For Intel Xeon, AMD EPYC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by igxqrrl View Post
    I'd really like to know more about why Centos Stream is faster. Here's my motivation.
    If the performance improvements are due to, for example, kernel scheduling improvements then we could likely benefit from upgrading our host OSes to Centos Stream. But if the benefits are due to newer glibc versions, then we're unlikely to see any benefit. And obviously if they 're due to newer compilers we won't see any benefit, as we don't get to recompile the vendor tools...
    There has certainly been a good amount of kernel performance improvements between releases but it is not possible to say whether a particular vendor tool would benefit from it. You are going to have to benchmark that anyway before you schedule any upgrades.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic

just wanted to let you know that I'm not a pimply script kiddie that discovered Linux yesterday.
      Who you are is irrelevant to the topic and certainly doesn't justify flippant responses.

Comment

Really dont like the changes they made to CentOS, So migrated mostly everything over to the Oracle Linux fork.

Its faster because its new and they said so doesnt make it any more attractive to anyone.

Not sure I will ever go back to Redhat or IBM for servers after that debacle. No particular "salt" as some seem to call it, just as much respect for them as they had for their users when they pulled the rug out from everyone.

Comment

what happened to all the comments in this discussion? were they censored?

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
            Its faster because its new and they said so doesnt make it any more attractive to anyone.
            My thinking also.

Improvements in speed can come from external projects (see Michaels' regular updates regarding improvements to Zstd, for example) which would translate across all distributions if the latest version was used... as the OS defaults are used for those tests. CentOS8 now uses quite an old version of Zstd.

Comment

Working...
            X