Ubuntu 21.04 To Turn On LTO Optimizations For Its Packages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
    As with almost every compiler optimization feature, the programs that break with LTO are the ones that were already broken.

In the past programmers hid their C undefined behavior by putting into a separate module. Then the compiler had to use the common shared ABI to call across the modules.

With LTO that is no longer true. Watch out, if the code assumes stack or register layout, or violates strict aliasing with int and float casts, or tries to check pointers for NULL... LTO is coming for you!
    That was my experience building Gentoo with LTO too. The stuff that failed was always the sketchy stuff that usually had problems in other areas. You can just disable LTO on it and build on.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

What do you mean?
      Oh this was a serious security bug in some Linux kernel code a while back.

If you write C code that uses a pointer, the compiler assumes that the pointer must have been a good value. Otherwise your program would have crashed. Therefore code that checks it for NULL after using the pointer can be removed by the optimizer. It could not have been NULL because it would have crashed.

It turns out though that this is a bad assumption in a kernel. The kernel is free to read and write from a NULL pointer without crashing, and removing the check for NULL created a security hole. The kernel code was still wrong though.

This can appear in slightly different ways too. Instead of NULL it could be array bound checks. If your C code accesses the array and THEN checks if it was inside the array size the compiler can remove the array size check. Because your code already used that array index. So it must have been OK; no need to check.

Comment

This can appear in slightly different ways too. Instead of NULL it could be array bound checks. If your C code accesses the array and THEN checks if it was inside the array size the compiler can remove the array size check. Because your code already used that array index. So it must have been OK; no need to check.
        No this is not true for array access since reading beyond the bounds will almost always succeed. So the compiler cannot rely on a crash like with the NULL pointer case, and thus it can't optimise the check. In most cases a compiler does not know about array bounds as pointers don't have a bound.

Comment

As with almost every compiler optimization feature, the programs that break with LTO are the ones that were already broken.

In the past programmers hid their C undefined behavior by putting into a separate module. Then the compiler had to use the common shared ABI to call across the modules.

With LTO that is no longer true. Watch out, if the code assumes stack or register layout, or violates strict aliasing with int and float casts, or tries to check pointers for NULL... LTO is coming for you!
          I half agree, but it's not always the case. To quote the DXVK dev, "LTO is notoriously broken" and I'm not talking about miscompiled binaries only. I'm talking about segfaults when linking (well, when LTO is applied). You can't even compile because GCC segfaults.

I know, "report the bug". Tons of reports already. Some fixed, some not. Still segfaults 3 years later, obviously more than just one bug here.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
            I've used Wine with LTO before, so if it doesn't work for you, then please report a bug.
            Well depends what "before" means, it won't even compile since 4.0 or 5.0 due to compilation errors (functions that are only called from assembly are not marked as "used" so LTO discards them).

But recently, even if you fix this with a patch, GCC segfaults on some modules, like actxprxy. Wonderful. Oh, and it's a long-standing issue, since I've tried all GCC versions since version 7 (the latest stable in each), they all segfault.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
              Well depends what "before" means, it won't even compile since 4.0 or 5.0 due to compilation errors (functions that are only called from assembly are not marked as "used" so LTO discards them).

But recently, even if you fix this with a patch, GCC segfaults on some modules, like actxprxy. Wonderful. Oh, and it's a long-standing issue, since I've tried all GCC versions since version 7 (the latest stable in each), they all segfault.
              Do you have a link for the bugreport? I can't find actxprxy or DXVK in any GCC bug reports. Does it happen in all optimization levels?

Comment

Originally posted by PerformanceExpert View Post

No this is not true for array access since reading beyond the bounds will almost always succeed. So the compiler cannot rely on a crash like with the NULL pointer case, and thus it can't optimise the check. In most cases a compiler does not know about array bounds as pointers don't have a bound.
                I had to fix a bug in my own code a while ago caused by exactly this, because I always build my C++ code with maximum O3 level optimizations, LTO and PGO when possible.

Yes GCC will break your code if you do this. Here is the patch I had to use to fix it:

Code:
                for(
                    unsigned j=0;
                -   table[table_i].values[j] && j<category_map_count && to_i<category_array_len;
                +   j<category_map_count && table[table_i].values[j] && to_i<category_array_len;
                   ++j
                ) {
                The check for j less than category_map_count must happen first. Otherwise GCC removes it because j was already used to read the table[table_i].values array.
                Last edited by Zan Lynx; 30 January 2021, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Do you have a link for the bugreport? I can't find actxprxy or DXVK in any GCC bug reports. Does it happen in all optimization levels?
                  I didn't open a bug for Wine because I gave up, and it also requires a workaround patch to even compile in the first place.

FYI it's not just actxprxy that's the problem. The amount of modules that segfault is huge, and yes I tested without any optimizations at all and it still segfaults (but not with -fno-lto).

I ran a script overnight that tried to compile each module in turn, and enabling LTO for each separate translation file in turn, until it failed to compile, then marked those translation units as "bad" (i.e. causing segfaults). Here's the massive list of such translation units that had to be compiled with -fno-lto to not segfault:

Code:
                  dlls/actxprxy/actxprxy_urlhist_p
                  dlls/advpack/install
                  dlls/appwiz.cpl/appwiz
                  dlls/avifil32/avifil32_p
                  dlls/avifile.dll16/main
                  dlls/bcrypt/sha512
                  dlls/browseui/aclmru
                  dlls/browseui/progressdlg
                  dlls/cabinet/fdi
                  dlls/comctl32/syslink
                  dlls/commdlg.dll16/printdlg
                  dlls/crtdll/math
                  dlls/crtdll/string
                  dlls/cryptnet/cryptnet_main
                  dlls/d2d1/geometry
                  dlls/d3d8/vertexdeclaration
                  dlls/d3d9/vertexdeclaration
                  dlls/d3drm/texture
                  dlls/d3dxof/mszip
                  dlls/dbgeng/dbgeng
                  dlls/ddeml.dll16/ddeml
                  dlls/dhcpcsvc/dhcpcsvc
                  dlls/dispex/disp_ex_p
                  dlls/dplayx/name_server
                  dlls/dpnet/server
                  dlls/dsdmo/main
                  dlls/dsound/mixer
                  dlls/dxva2/main
                  dlls/evr/presenter
                  dlls/fontsub/main
                  dlls/gameux/gameexplorer
                  dlls/gameux/gamestatistics
                  dlls/gdi32/font
                  dlls/gdi32/metafile
                  dlls/glu32/quad
                  dlls/hhctrl.ocx/search
                  dlls/hid/hidp
                  dlls/hidclass.sys/descriptor
                  dlls/iccvid/iccvid
                  dlls/ieframe/navigate
                  dlls/imagehlp/integrity
                  dlls/imm32/imm
                  dlls/inetcomm/protocol
                  dlls/inetcpl.cpl/general
                  dlls/inetcpl.cpl/security
                  dlls/infosoft/wordbreaker
                  dlls/inseng/inseng_main
                  dlls/itss/chm_lib
                  dlls/joy.cpl/main
                  dlls/jscript/number
                  dlls/kernel32/process
                  dlls/kernel32/sync
                  dlls/kernel32/volume
                  dlls/kernelbase/main
                  dlls/kernelbase/memory
                  dlls/kernelbase/volume
                  dlls/krnl386.exe16/ioports
                  dlls/mapi32/sendmail
                  dlls/mciavi32/mciavi
                  dlls/mciavi32/mmoutput
                  dlls/mciqtz32/mciqtz
                  dlls/mf/session
                  dlls/mfmediaengine/main
                  dlls/mfplat/mediatype
                  dlls/mmsystem.dll16/mmsystem
                  dlls/msacm32/internal
                  dlls/msctfp/msctfp_p
                  dlls/msdaps/row_server_p
                  dlls/mshtml/htmlevent
                  dlls/mshtml/nsio
                  dlls/msi/streams
                  dlls/mspatcha/lzxd_dec
                  dlls/msrle32/msrle32
                  dlls/mstask/task
                  dlls/msvidc32/msvideo1
                  dlls/ntdll/env
                  dlls/ntdll/time
                  dlls/ntdll/wcstring
                  dlls/ntdsapi/ntdsapi
                  dlls/ntoskrnl.exe/ntoskrnl
                  dlls/ntprint/ntprint
                  dlls/odbc32/proxyodbc
                  dlls/odbccp32/odbccp32
                  dlls/ole2.dll16/memlockbytes
                  dlls/ole2disp.dll16/ole2disp
                  dlls/ole32/datacache
                  dlls/ole32/storage32
                  dlls/oleaut32/vartype
                  dlls/packager/packager_main
                  dlls/prntvpt/main
                  dlls/qcap/avimux
                  dlls/qdvd/navigator
                  dlls/qmgr/file
                  dlls/qmgrprxy/qmgrprxy_p
                  dlls/quartz/dsoundrender
                  dlls/riched20/writer
                  dlls/rpcrt4/rpc_transport
                  dlls/rsaenh/mpi
                  dlls/sapi/token
                  dlls/setupapi/parser
                  dlls/setupx.dll16/infparse
                  dlls/shdocvw/shdocvw_main
                  dlls/shlwapi/ordinal
                  dlls/shlwapi/string
                  dlls/shlwapi/wsprintf
                  dlls/snmpapi/main
                  dlls/spoolss/router
                  dlls/sspicli/main
                  dlls/toolhelp.dll16/toolhelp
                  dlls/twain_32/dsm_ctrl
                  dlls/urlmon/uri
                  dlls/user32/wsprintf
                  dlls/userenv/userenv_main
                  dlls/uxtheme/draw
                  dlls/vcomp/main
                  dlls/vnbt.vxd/vnbt
                  dlls/w32skrnl/w32skernel
                  dlls/webservices/writer
                  dlls/wer/main
                  dlls/windowscodecs/palette
                  dlls/winhttp/request
                  dlls/wininet/http
                  dlls/wininet/urlcache
                  dlls/winmm/mci
                  dlls/winmm/waveform
                  dlls/winsock.dll16/socket
                  dlls/wintab32/context
                  dlls/wmp/player
                  dlls/wmvcore/reader
                  dlls/wsdapi/xml
                  dlls/wsock32/socket
                  dlls/wtsapi32/wtsapi32
                  programs/expand/expand
                  programs/oleview/oleview
                  programs/ping/ping_main
                  programs/rundll.exe16/rundll
                  programs/wineboot/wineboot
                  programs/winhelp.exe16/winhelp
                  Note that COMPILING the above files works perfectly fine with LTO. It's during linking that it segfaults, unless the above files are compiled with -fno-lto (the others can be with -flto and it works).

Actually there's more files btw, all d3dcompiler_* and msvc* dlls, but I gave up and disabled LTO completely on those.

Comment

What is always the case is that accessing memory outside of the object the pointer points too is UB. So whether it'll lead to a SIGSEV/crash or will read some wrong value and fail later or will work correctly just by chance doesn't matter. The compiler will rightfully assume that it won't ever happen and so remove the unnecessary checks.
                    Last edited by flashmozzg; 31 January 2021, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by flashmozzg View Post
                      What is always the case is that accessing memory outside of the object the pointer points too is UB. So whether it'll lead to a SIGSEV/crash or will read some wrong value and fail later or will work correctly just by chance doesn't matter. The compiler will rightfully assume that it won't ever happen and so remove the unnecessary checks.
                      You completely misunderstood the point. The code doesn't segfault at runtime. The compiler segfaults during linking (since the compiler is involved during linking in LTO).

It's a compiler bug. Yes, compilers crash too. Who would've thought?

Comment

Working...
                      X