Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Initial Fedora 32 vs. Fedora 33 Beta Benchmarks Point To Slightly Higher Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• birdie
    replied
    The geometric mean with the ~200 tests actually points to Fedora Workstation 33 coming out slightly ahead of Fedora Workstation 32 -- both out-of-the-box and with the stable release updates that positions it closer to the F33 versions.
    Michael

The last chart with the geometric mean of all results indicates that F33 is the slowest among them all. Weird.

Leave a comment:

• ferry
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
    I use Fedora 32 and Btrfs really Looks Like a Sapontage in the Performance

Btrfs should Not be the Default
    Because you will notice a sqlite slowdown, eh when?

While a useful functionality change like snapshots, you won't be using knowingly?

Do you use a spellchecker in your browser, or does it slow down the performance too much?

Leave a comment:

• oleid
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

Originally posted by spykes View Post
    The filesystem change seems to bring some performance regressions... I'll keep ext4 for a while so.
    For god's sake, disable copy on write for the database or the directory containing the database.

chattr +C /dir/file

Everybody using btrfs for databases knows that. And it should be default in the benchmark as well.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
    Something doesn't seem right.
    In nearly every chart where there is a sizable difference between F32 and F33, F32 wins, but in the end F33 wins the geometric mean.
    How's that possible? Maybe the labels are reversed?
    See the linked OpenBenchmarking.org page in the review for all the data points, it wasn't practical including all ~200 benchmarks especially for the ones where there is virtually no change.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
    In nearly every chart where there is a sizable difference between F32 and F33, F32 wins, but in the end F33 wins the geometric mean.
    The article doesn't have all the tests included while the Geometric does.

FWIW, That was my first reaction as well.

Leave a comment:

• JackLilhammers
    replied

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    Well a least they didn't go completely backwards performance wise.
    Like Michael pointed out, BTRFS caused some of those slowdowns and that there are config tweaks to speed up certain operations. All that says to me is that Fedora BTRFS needs a more advanced setup by default.

It's like running ZFS on Root where the stock settings suck ass and /lib, /etc, /bin, /var all need different default mount options and file system features used. Like using gzip on /usr/share/docs and lz4 on /bin or setting primarycache=metadata on a db or sync=off for /tmp.

In any event is there any intention to update Mesa before actually shipping?
    That X 1000

Leave a comment:

• crowen
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    Well a least they didn't go completely backwards performance wise.

In any event is there any intention to update Mesa before actually shipping?

Leave a comment:

• qarium
    replied

Leave a comment:

• spykes
    replied
    The filesystem change seems to bring some performance regressions... I'll keep ext4 for a while so.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X