• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
    Go ahead and tell me the exact dates when Linux and Hurd were started,
    We both know Hurd is older, if even by a smaller margin

and then come back to a serious conversation..
    I'm not the old man that decided to nitpick about a non-important age thing where he is still technically wrong.

Leave a comment:

• vladpetric
    replied
    Originally posted by aht0 View Post

openbsd hardware support is fine as long as you stick to intel or older amd graphics and choose wifi card carefully. On some thinkpads it's hardware support is said to be better than linux's (sleep/restore etc). It's main gripe (for me) is it's ffs2 file system.
    Usb 1 through 3 work on it too, hurd does not even have basic usb yet.
    ffs, ffs2?

Leave a comment:

• tuxd3v
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    That's not an excuse.
    An excuse?
    Are you on drugs?
    Go ahead and tell me the exact dates when Linux and Hurd were started, and then come back to a serious conversation..

Leave a comment:

• tuxd3v
    replied
    He may be older person. Seriously, if you are past certain age, few years forward or back makes next to no difference. It's mentally all in "back then" category.
    Exactly,
    In 30 years since, 6 months on front or back are nothing..

And Hurd was postponed, since they knew that a free open kernel was been developed( Linux )..
    In other words, it was not a priority to continue its development( And I am still not convinced that it started to be a priority now.. )..

Leave a comment:

• Dr.N0
    replied
    Okay, L4Re and Fiasco.OC, two proven, secure, well-maintained and widely-used micro-kernels, are GPLv2-licensed, so I see absolutely no reason to back the Hurd except the NIH syndrome. That also applies to the HyperbolaBSD project to a lesser degree. In comparison, their move almost looks sane. Seriously, use L4.

Leave a comment:

• vladpetric
    replied
    More like it's still alive because of FSF political reasons. Any other sane project would have recognized defeat and abandoned the field a decade ago.

why you need a mouse to use a console? Keyboard is all you need
    You're probably joking, and I don't want to get in a flamewar, but look at the previous century as to what happened when a small number of people decide what everybody else needs ...

Leave a comment:

• bachchain
    replied
    for increasing "security and freedom for their users."
    I suppose an attacker can't exploit functionality if it doesn't exist in the first place

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Does not mean anything.

Hurd is older than Linux and in the time that Linux took to become a thing it is still partying like it's 1999.
    Whoah.. Hurd isn't partying that hard yet. If I recall, Linux supported 64-bit, even in 1999. XD

But, what is popular now, has no reason to be popular 20 years from now. Hurd might have its day. Looking at the terrible locked down mobile crap that users are happy with, Hurd already provides a fair few benefits.
    Last edited by kpedersen; 07 July 2020, 02:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    He may be older person.
    That's not an excuse.

Leave a comment:

• aht0
    replied
    Hello good sir, have you ever heard about our god and saviour "first grade Algebra"?
    He may be older person. Seriously, if you are past certain age, few years forward or back makes next to no difference. It's mentally all in "back then" category.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X