Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RHEL9 Likely To Drop Older x86_64 CPUs, Fedora Can Better Prepare With "Enterprise Linux Next"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jabl
    replied
    Requiring AVX might be a bit much, considering Intel still sells non-AVX processors for market segmentation reasons. Yes, those low-end processors are not the target market of RHEL, but still.

That being said, bumping up the minimum required features would make sense. E.g. requiring about 2012 level hardware you get SSE 4.2, POPCNT, and AES-NI.

Leave a comment:

• jabl
    replied
    Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
    RH being one of the biggest contributors to the main line kernel could stop support there as well.
    Eh, the upstream kernel still supports the i486, which hasn't been supported by Fedora for ages, and IIRC RHEL dropped support for 32-bit HW with the release of RHEL 7 in 2014.

Leave a comment:

• MadeUpName
    replied
    The 4 or year old Celeron(R) CPU N3160 used in my HTPC has no AVX what so ever. It is untrue to say that RH is strictly a server distro as companies who ether want support or some one to sue if things go wrong also buy it. There is also the issue of Fedora being the proving ground for RH so if RH is dropping support for CPUs in the future Fedora will likely start dropping them soon. RH being one of the biggest contributors to the main line kernel could stop support there as well.

Leave a comment:

• Mario Junior
    replied
    Just drop for CPUs without SSE4.x.

Profit!

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
    not hate, if was Canonical I only can imagine. But its a Ibm company nobody cares
    My tough exactly. Impressive how chill the comments are overhaul. If it was Canonical, people had already ripped their panties and called Shuttleworth the antichrist.

Leave a comment:

• edwaleni
    replied
    Originally posted by szymon_g View Post

even now you can easily buy new hardware lacking that instruction set.
    if they are for servers, why do they include gnome etc?
    Most enterprises install server RHEL with no gui to reduce the patching overhead and cut down on the attack vectors.

RHEL comes with lots of options that aren't always installed, like DPDK.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    I think the cutoff should be AES support -- one generation before AVX (using Intel as the metric) which means anything from around 2010+ should be good enough.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
    not hate, if was Canonical I only can imagine. But its a Ibm company nobody cares
    Well so far, IBM has only dropped hardware that we might still use. Canonical would do that whilst displaying adverts on your apps menu for newer hardware XD

Leave a comment:

• andre30correia
    replied

Leave a comment:

• szymon_g
    replied
    Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
    Came here expecting people to be defending their ancient hardware (like usual with these articles) and wasn't let down.

As others have said, RHEL is for servers anyway, not outdated and/or low end consumer machines.
    even now you can easily buy new hardware lacking that instruction set.
    if they are for servers, why do they include gnome etc?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X