X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post

You can usually hibernate successfully with less swap than available RAM, the kernel will attempt to compress and fit the used memory into the available swap space.

On a laptop you're only looking at 8-16GB of RAM anyway.
    The problem with the first option is, at least the last time I tried anyways, a full reboot cycle was faster than just going into hibernation, let alone restoring it.

Pretty soon laptops will be 16-32GB and some lines already are. Luckily for them there are SSDs and fastboot and dudes at Red Hat constantly trying to shave 1ms here and there from the startup process.

I wonder how long it'll be until laptops come with two drives -- primary drive and hibernate drive.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I wouldn't know. I have 48gb of ram on my system. It just takes too long to hibernate and restore when you have that much ram...and I don't really want a 50GB swap partition.

I limit my swap to 8GB in zram...and I only have that swap for "just in case legacy shit happens".
    You can usually hibernate successfully with less swap than available RAM, the kernel will attempt to compress and fit the used memory into the available swap space.

On a laptop you're only looking at 8-16GB of RAM anyway.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Should of said swap partition, swap files are much less reliable than swap partitions for restoring.
    I wouldn't know. I have 48gb of ram on my system. It just takes too long to hibernate and restore when you have that much ram...and I don't really want a 50GB swap partition.

I limit my swap to 8GB in zram...and I only have that swap for "just in case legacy shit happens".

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    skeevy420 already does this by default

Britoid I'm not sure, but it isn't like you can't just add a new swap file if it swaps the swap to the new swap spot...and say that 3 times fast
    Should of said swap partition, swap files are much less reliable than swap partitions for restoring.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    skeevy420 already does this by default

Britoid I'm not sure, but it isn't like you can't just add a new swap file if it swaps the swap to the new swap spot...and say that 3 times fast

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Will this keep the swap file?

I hibernate my computer a lot and Fedora performs wake-up from hibernation perfectly the vast majority of the time, would be a shame if that was no longer a thing.

Leave a comment:

• Fedora Workstation 33 Aiming To Have SWAP-On-ZRAM By Default

Phoronix: Fedora Workstation 33 Aiming To Have SWAP-On-ZRAM By Default

Fedora IoT already uses swap-on-ZRAM by default given IoT devices are often running with limited amounts of RAM, but for Fedora Workstation 33 the developers are looking at enabling SWAP-on-ZRAM by default for all new installations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X