Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSmart
    replied
    I'm excited about Solaris ZFS. Wonder how that would stack up.

Surprising how poorly EXT3 did.

Leave a comment:

• sc3252
    replied
    Originally posted by kgonzales View Post
    Ext4 was released in Fedora 10, and will also be released as a tech preview with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.3.

You act like Ubuntu is trailblazing here.
    That is total BS, he did benchmarks before with fedora 9, and even mentioned that fedora had it in their distro well before ubuntu did.

"While the EXT4 file-system was marked as "ext4dev" within the kernel to signify its development status, Red Hat has been shipping EXT4 as an install-time option since Fedora 9. This support has continued into Fedora 10 with the newest kernel components. When installing Fedora, to create an EXT4 file-system you must append "ext4" to the boot line when starting the Anaconda installer. Beyond the Fedora option, EXT4 has yet to find itself as an option in many distribution installers."
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Leave a comment:

• kgonzales
    replied
    Already in Fedora 10, coming in RHEL5.3

Ext4 was released in Fedora 10, and will also be released as a tech preview with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.3.

You act like Ubuntu is trailblazing here.

Leave a comment:

• laurencevde
    replied
    Could you please test random write performance? The tested ssd has horrible (re)write-latencies, and filesystems can have a significant impact on that(the more small writes, the worse).
    Mine's currently running udf...

Leave a comment:

• crispy
    replied
    This test will probably affect what fs I will format my newly cleared 250 gb disk to. Although speed of the fs is a concern I am also concerned about being able to put the drive to sleep. Currently I have mounted my ext3 disks as ext2 so the journal wont be written every 5 sec which makes it impossible to put them to sleep with hdparm -Y /dev/sdX

Leave a comment:

• TRS-80
    replied
    I read somewhere that MySQL performance was much improved with ext4 - does PTS have any MySQL or PostgreSQL benchmarks?

Leave a comment:

• Yfrwlf
    replied
    Originally posted by ashayh View Post
    Please conduct a test with the latest version of btrfs.

Thanks
    I thought BetterFS wasn't even fully implemented yet, or can it do most all the basics already? Regardless, I'm sure it won't be nearly as fast as later on when everything gets stabilized more, but benchmarks of it would indeed be interesting.

And don't forget Tux3! ^^

As far as EXT4 is concerned, it looks great, thanks for the benchmarks!

Leave a comment:

• ashayh
    replied
    btrfs

Please conduct a test with the latest version of btrfs.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by Amit View Post
    Were these tests done on the hardware with a clean install each time with each file system as big as the others and occupying the same disk geometry?
    Yes, we always do fresh installs each time.

Leave a comment:

• Amit
    replied
    Fresh installs?

Were these tests done on the hardware with a clean install each time with each file system as big as the others and occupying the same disk geometry?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X