Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenSUSE Adds Option To Installer For Toggling Performance-Hitting CPU Mitigations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zxy_thf
    replied
    Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

and how to you guarantee that? With a multithreaded web browser it can always possible to make use of hardware defects where threads aren't isolated correctly. And in doubt all Javascript code is untrusted.

For a desktop you never want to disable the mitigations. For some servers it might make sense to do so though.
    I'm talking about servers, not desktops.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by karolherbst View Post
    For a desktop you never want to disable the mitigations. For some servers it might make sense to do so though.
    Also for many embedded devices. Not that SUSE runs any significant amount.

Leave a comment:

• yurikoles
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    This is good to see, and I'll bet they've built a YaST module too then, so you can make the same changes after installation.
    The installer is YaST itself, so there is definitely a module for that.

Leave a comment:

• karolherbst
    replied
    Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
    This is a very welcome change! Those mitigations make little sense if only trusted code will be executed.
    and how to you guarantee that? With a multithreaded web browser it can always possible to make use of hardware defects where threads aren't isolated correctly. And in doubt all Javascript code is untrusted.

Leave a comment:

• R41N3R
    replied
    Adding more options to an installer doesn't sound right to me, especially when it is already quite complicated like in the case of opensuse. This sounds more like a tuning option after install!

Leave a comment:

• Shiba
    replied
    Originally posted by Mel Spektor View Post
    before ubuntu even existed, suse was ubuntu.
    I still have my boxed SuSE professional 9.0, it featured automount of usb devices! >

Leave a comment:

• Zinural
    replied
    I use openSUSE Tumbleweed with GNOME on an AMD computer

- Gnome (no Baloo)
    - AMD (no expensive Spectre mitigation)
    - XFS on the whole system (no Btrfs)

So I shouldn't have any major performance reductions compared to other distros and I also don't need to change the options for Spectre mitigation, is this right?

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
    This is a very welcome change! Those mitigations make little sense if only trusted code will be executed.
    That's not the case. "Trusted" code can have security vulnerabilities.

Leave a comment:

• noangel
    replied
    Nice to have such options to give user ability to select fast or secure. On some servers not connected to Internet it may be really helpful.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by xorbe View Post
    Disable per-process page tables for additional performance : ☑
    At the risk of not being able to allocate memory after a few hours of uptime.

Let's run Linux on Amiga 1000

Leave a comment:

Working...
X