Power Use, RAM + Boot Times With Unity, Xfce, GNOME, LXDE, Budgie & KDE Plasma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very weird.

I chose Plasma 5 to run on my Atom netbook, because it was by far the snappiest and used the least resources compared to Unity or Gnome.
    There is something seriously wrong with that setup.

A fresh boot into Plasma 5 on my netbook shows 180MiB ram used, and this includes amarok even.

Comment

RAM consumption is really depending from the features in use, but this doesn't worry me at all. As a KDE user I would wish that the start and exit time of plasma would be much better, this often feels slow, unresponsive and buggy.

Comment

My plasma takes 400 MB. I'd try GNOME with Fedora. It took 1.2 GB when I tried few months ago.

Comment

Booting times about the same between Gnome and Openbox, that doesn't seems right in my experience.

Comment

Either Kubuntu became even worse than the last time i used it or there is something seriously wrong with the test-setup. I've got around 400mb ram use after booting with manjaro KDE.
            But nice to see that even so, KDE has one of the lowest power consumptions ^^

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post

GNOME just happened to be developed by smart people that know how to make the best of systemd's features. Expect more in GNOME 3.28!
              Quite the contrary. In my experience booting Gnome is painfully slow, especially on Wayland. Not to say that mouse cursor is frozen the whole time, not a good user experience.

Comment

Very odd results for Plasma.
                I use Plasma (5.10) on Manjaro and RAM usage is between less than 300 to 400MB and boot time about 15s (on 850 Evo SSD)

Comment

You are welcome!

Not a bias at all, but a real world usage experience. You should try to use it some times yourself and you would see that stuff like mouse freezing, stuttering is not uncommon at all.

Comment

You prefer the data that suits your theories better, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
                      go somewhere else.
                      Please remember, this is not a Gnome owned forum. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                      X