X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
    Truly awful name, as awful as Kodi, some Linux developers should hire experts to invent names for their software, they obviously have no creative talent to invent appealing names themselves.
    feel free to volunteer

Leave a comment:

• Cerberus
    replied
    Truly awful name, as awful as Kodi, some Linux developers should hire experts to invent names for their software, they obviously have no creative talent to invent appealing names themselves.

Leave a comment:

• unixfan2001
    replied
    Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    Flatpak reads like OS X app bundles, but extending it to third party operating systems.
    Actually, the whole app bundle concept first emerged on RiscOS (two years prior to NeXTSTEP). It has since made its way to almost every OS on the planet.
    GNU/Linux itself had several implementations of it before (the ROX desktop uses one such implementation, for one).

Leave a comment:

• asdfblah
    replied
    I'm glad I use KDE.

Leave a comment:

• liam
    replied
    Originally posted by higuita View Post

not directly flatpak, but rancherOS is a pid 1 docker, where ALL apps run inside docker containers, so each app can be isolated from the next one.

My main issue with flatpak is coming from gnome devs... i don't trust then, as i don't trust systemd, pulseaudio devs... Everytime i see something coming from oracle, redhat, apple or microsoft, i step back and try to see the bigger picture... not that everything they do is bad, but they fucked up the final user several times already to improve their business, so i don't trust then
    This won't change your mind but RH, "the company", gave no directives to the gnome folks. Believe me, I WISH they had. I WISH more of upper management had an interest in GNOME so that Fedora could actually be given the mandate to fix some of the odd ux choices in GNOME.
    JMO but viewing companies as discrete entities that have long lasting desires isn't, generally, a great idea unless you have some good reason to think otherwise. Individuals, on the other hand, sure, go to town.

Leave a comment:

• Baemir
    replied
    All this complaining about making linux more accessible... no wonder we've been stuck at 1% of the market for decades.

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Originally posted by zanny View Post

Only insofar as Red Hat doesn't make it available in their kernel. It comes stock in Suse and Ubuntu and you can get Apparmor kernels / profiles third party on Debian / Arch.

I can easily see a market for Apparmor -> SELinux profile conversion so we can standardize on one MAC archive format, that software can distribute upstream and have packaged accordingly.
    Apparmor isn't supported by so many distros. If you see a market for it, do it and show how it is done.

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Originally posted by zanny View Post

Only insofar as Red Hat doesn't make it available in their kernel. It comes stock in Suse and Ubuntu and you can get Apparmor kernels / profiles third party on Debian / Arch.

I can easily see a market for Apparmor -> SELinux profile conversion so we can standardize on one MAC archive format, that software can distribute upstream and have packaged accordingly.
    LSM's cannot be stack one on top of another easily. This is a fundamental problem. There are hundreds of distros out there that apparmor will not work for and it is not the right layer for the features that flatpak exposes.

Leave a comment:

• Marc Driftmeyer
    replied
    Flatpak reads like OS X app bundles, but extending it to third party operating systems.

Leave a comment:

• zanny
    replied
    Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Sure but Apparmor is distro specific.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X