• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ericg
    replied
    Originally posted by dee. View Post
    Ftfy. o________o
    Why +1, Dee? I never understood why everyone always goes for +1 since if one job takes up one core... why would you want to give it more than it can handle? Wouldn't it force the CPU to suspend one of the other jobs to kick that one in?

Leave a comment:

• dee.
    replied
    Originally posted by blinxwang View Post
    make -j[number of CPU cores you have +1] makes a big difference, my friend. As does hyperthreading. And more cores.
    Ftfy. o________o

Leave a comment:

• blinxwang
    replied
    Originally posted by VinzC View Post
    Geez! That darn thing takes me more than 90 minutes to compile on my Gentoo laptop! (Core 2 Duo T9400, 2.53 GHz.) Only [Libre/Open]Office with more than 4 hours takes more time! I remember the good days it took less than half an hour just a few years ago on the same machine...
    make -j[number of CPU cores you have] makes a big difference, my friend. As does hyperthreading. And more cores.

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    Originally posted by rudregues View Post
    On-topic: What is the advantage of using gstreamer to play h.264 in firefox? From what I read in wikipedia it will pipes the videos to some decoder (maybe mplayer2 or ffmpeg). Is someone already using this feature?
    Convenience for the end user. Vimeo (and other sites that don't support webm) for example works.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    On-topic: What is the advantage of using gstreamer to play h.264 in firefox? From what I read in wikipedia it will pipes the videos to some decoder (maybe mplayer2 or ffmpeg). Is someone already using this feature?

It would allow hardware decode acceleration via vdpau.

Leave a comment:

• rudregues
    replied
    Wow! that is quite some time! What CPU does your notebook have? (I guess you scream when you have to go through updates of things like qt-*, gcc, glibc, wxwidgets... ;-) )
    AMD E-350, it's not that bad because I use my notebook to normal user tasks (internet, texts, videos, music, downloads, movies, programming etc). It would be much worse if I was a video/audio pro hahaha
    Anyway, I have hope I'll have money for buy a new notebook next year (maybe with a 3rd generation i3?)

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
    Yes, there is an open bug in this regard.
    It seems that libnotify doesn't support all of the features required by web notification, so libnotify support has been dropped.
    Yes i know this. So is there a plan to update/modify libnotify or something like that?

Leave a comment:

• VinzC
    replied
    My Gentoo powered notebook takes about 3h30min to compile firefox 24. Very funny to hear this.
    Not.
    Wow! that is quite some time! What CPU does your notebook have? (I guess you scream when you have to go through updates of things like qt-*, gcc, glibc, wxwidgets... ;-) )

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
    For extra fun try to build it with profile guided optimization. Or did you already?
    No, I didn't. Wouldn't dare.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    I run the latest nightly (which just shifted up to version 29) and this is what I get: http://i.imgur.com/AmtbxNY.png
    :P
    I'm pretty sure it was added in version 27, so 6 more weeks for most people.

Leave a comment:

• rudregues
    replied
    Geez! That darn thing takes me more than 90 minutes to compile on my Gentoo laptop! (Core 2 Duo T9400, 2.53 GHz.) Only [Libre/Open]Office with more than 4 hours takes more time! I remember the good days it took less than half an hour just a few years ago on the same machine...
    My Gentoo powered notebook takes about 3h30min to compile firefox 24. Very funny to hear this.
    Not.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X