X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teho
    replied
    Originally posted by Cthulhux View Post
    I hope Trojita will be used to further improve KMail and dropped then. Why split?
    Because people have different kinds of needs and preferences? I don't see how Trojit? would be of any use to KMail considering that the one is based on Akonadi and the other is not.

Originally posted by Linuxhippy
    Beside damaging the reputation of KDE, those unmaintained apps still cause headache for the bug hunting crews. Users will still complain anyway

Unmaintained does not mean they don't need maintenance - as build breakage has to be fixed anyway - mostly by people not familiar with the codebase, lowering its quality even further.
    It's not part of KDE Software Compilation so nothing changes from the user, packager and bug hunting perspective.

Originally posted by Linuxhippy
    I just don't get the need to move every project that is based on QT and has a few KDE hooks under the KDE umbrella.
    KDE is a community that developes Qt based applications and libaries. It also provides powerful infrastucture for developing these projects like mailing lists, wikis, code hosting, bug trackers, review boards, pastebins, IRC channels, donations, confrences... It would be handy if all serious open source Qt projects were hosted under KDE infrastucture as it would help their discoverability and bring likeminded people together.

Leave a comment:

• Cthulhux
    replied
    I hope Trojita will be used to further improve KMail and dropped then. Why split?

Leave a comment:

• next11
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Gmail, you know it's about mail.
    Hotmail, you know it's about mail.

But Trojita? I doesn't sound like mail.

Well, Trojita reminds me of Trojan horses which sometimes gets spread by mail.
    Well, the name itself is "Trojit?", visit the project homepage. Since the Author is Czech, it has nothing to do with "Trojan". "Trojit?" in czech language means "Tripple" in English (female gender adjective). As you can see, there is number 3 in application logo and icon.

Best regards from Czech Republic.

Leave a comment:

• TheBlackCat
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    if smtp and pop3 get supported will kmail then be replaced? kmail is one of those programs that mindlessly has K in front of it.
    Kmail is mostly a front-end for akonadi now, it is an integrated part of a more general-purpose groupware suite. It looks like this is intended as a more lightweight, dedicated mail client.

Leave a comment:

• Linuxhippy
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    If they are unmaintained, how are they consuming resources?
    Beside damaging the reputation of KDE, those unmaintained apps still cause headache for the bug hunting crews. Users will still complain anyway
    Unmaintained does not mean they don't need maintenance - as build breakage has to be fixed anyway - mostly by people not familiar with the codebase, lowering its quality even further.

Look at all those apps beeing hosted and distributed by KDE, which do not even remotly do have something to do with a desktop environment (well, except they have a graphical user interface).

And of course KDE is the only project with unmaintained apps.
    Not at all of course.
    I just don't get the need to move every project that is based on QT and has a few KDE hooks under the KDE umbrella.

If beeing under the KDE umbrella doesn't mean anything (as you proposed with your first statement), whats the deal beeing under it?
    If it does mean something, projects probably it should be moved under it more carefully.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    if smtp and pop3 get supported will kmail then be replaced? kmail is one of those programs that mindlessly has K in front of it.

Leave a comment:

• TheBlackCat
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Outlook, you know its about mail
    Thunderbird, you know its about mail
    Evolution, you know its about mail
    Exchange, you know its about mail
    Pine, you know its about mail

Oh wait...

Well, lets look at Wikipedia's Comparison of Email Clients. It lists 50 clients. 11 of them have mail is an integral part of their name (so including, say, KMail, or WIndows Mail, but excluding, say, Eureka Email, which could just be called Eureka).

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by jktjkt View Post
    Right. I've been maintaining it for only six years so far, so it makes complete sense to assume that it's going to be abandoned just now. Great deduction.

Well, Trojita reminds me of Trojan horses which sometimes gets spread by mail.

Leave a comment:

• jktjkt
    replied
    Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
    Yeah, yet another project developed under the KDE umbrella.
    Once the developer looses interest, it will fit nice into the huge amount of unmaintained KDE apps, rotting around, consuming rescources required to maintain KDE's core functionality.
    Right. I've been maintaining it for only six years so far, so it makes complete sense to assume that it's going to be abandoned just now. Great deduction.

Leave a comment:

• TheBlackCat
    replied
    Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
    Yeah, yet another project developed under the KDE umbrella.
    Once the developer looses interest, it will fit nice into the huge amount of unmaintained KDE apps, rotting around, consuming rescources required to maintain KDE's core functionality.
    If they are unmaintained, how are they consuming resources?

And of course KDE is the only project with unmaintained apps. Do you know when the last fdupes commit was?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X