Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nevertime
    replied
    If any distro still feels they need to supply a fallback de they should package a light weight de such as lxde along with Gnome 3. Why expect Gnome to maintain a panel, and whatever else is involved, when there are a number of perfectly good light weight desktop environments focused on that kind of thing.

Leave a comment:

• astrapotro
    replied
    Hi, this's my first post :-P

I've the radeon driver in a debian testin gnome 3.4 with Gallium 0.4 on AMD CEDAR
    with glxinfo i have:
    $ glxinfo
    name of display: :0
    display: :0 screen: 0
    direct rendering: Yes
    server glx vendor string: SGI
    server glx version string: 1.4

videocard:
    $ lspci |grep AMD
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series]

so supposedly i've 3D and gnome shell works perfectly except few blue flashes ??
    Other thing is with games but i don't care because i don't want to use the private driver.

Go Gnome !

Leave a comment:

• Pallidus
    replied
    if you have a old laptop with first generation radeon's or any gpu without a proper driver really

you are going to have to run openbox or fluxbox or lxde

so what's really the point complaining about this?

Leave a comment:

• droste
    replied
    Originally posted by finalzone View Post
    Which binary blob (firmware) do you refer inside libre radeon driver?
    According to xorg-x11-drv-ati package, it contains:
    /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/ati_drv.so
    /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so
    /usr/share/man/man4/ati.4.gz
    /usr/share/man/man4/radeon.4.gz

I am currently using a E-350 powered laptop on Fedora 18 with 3D support out-of-box. Having participed to Fedora Test Day for Radeon driver,
    I can run decent 3D applications without a problem.
    He means the firmware loaded by the kernel module (radeon) in /lib/firmware/radeon such as "R520_cp.bin". They are needed to get 3D acceleration.

Leave a comment:

• finalzone
    replied
    Originally posted by moilami View Post
    Who said so? With libre radeon driver you don't have any 3D acceleration because of the missing binary blob (firmware).
    Which binary blob (firmware) do you refer inside libre radeon driver?
    According to xorg-x11-drv-ati package, it contains:
    /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/ati_drv.so
    /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so
    /usr/share/man/man4/ati.4.gz
    /usr/share/man/man4/radeon.4.gz

I am currently using a E-350 powered laptop on Fedora 18 with 3D support out-of-box. Having participed to Fedora Test Day for Radeon driver,
    I can run decent 3D applications without a problem.

Leave a comment:

• Fenrin
    replied
    [...]

Gnome Shell worked great with Intel Graphics in Gnome 3.0.
    The Radeon driver for my Radeon HD 3200 IGP works also great with Gnome 3.x

If anyone thinks the application search is slow in Gnome Shell (it is indeed delayed sometimes in versions <=3.4), should give version 3.6 a try.

Leave a comment:

• moilami
    replied
    Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    And yet the radeon and other FOSS drivers are supposed to be the best thing to use with Gnome Shell...
    Who said so? With libre radeon driver you don't have any 3D acceleration because of the missing binary blob (firmware).

3D acceleration works with ATI cards only if you want to use the binary blob.

Use Intel graphics if you want 3D acceleration to work with truly libre system without binary blobs.

Gnome Shell worked great with Intel Graphics in Gnome 3.0.

Leave a comment:

• Hamish Wilson
    replied
    Please don't blame GNOME of that your graphics drivers suck.

Signed by "a very happy and all the time more happy GNOME user since Gnome 1.4."
    And yet the radeon and other FOSS drivers are supposed to be the best thing to use with Gnome Shell...

Leave a comment:

• F i L
    replied
    Originally posted by Aphax View Post
    I do like GNOME3, and I may start using it again some day when the radeon driver's performance is improved.
    If you have really bad performance with GnomeShell and Radeon Catalyst drivers, make sure to add 'export CLUTTER_VBLANK=none' to '/etc/profile', it helps a lot. You can still enable VSync and everything from the AMD Catalyst Control Center.

Leave a comment:

• finalzone
    replied
    Originally posted by Aphax View Post
    I must admit that I can't stand this 'if your computer can't run Gnome 3, then maybe you shouldn't be running a DE on it' attitude some people have. I had a fluid desktop experience in the previous millenium. How is it that more than a decade later I'm having so much trouble getting a smooth multi-monitor desktop experience on a PC that's not even 5 years old, with an order of magnitude more processing power? I love eye candy, I really do, but a few fancy window animations and drop shadows aren't worth the abysmal performance I'm getting with my radeon GPU. Sometimes I feel (I know it's not really true) like little progress has been made in the last 10 years w.r.t. desktop environments.
    I had a 2004 LG Tablet XNOTE running Gnome-Shell running smoothly as long there is no heavily GPU intensive around at the same due to CPU limitation (Intel Centrino). The issue in this case is related to videocard driver. Even the Radeon R200 on 2007 HP Pavillon Media Center runs it too without problem.
    Last edited by finalzone; 29 November 2012, 03:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X