Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E17 Does A Desktop Shootout, The Winner Is....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massa
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    My thoughts exactly. It is kind of worrisome that the maintainer of E17 doesn't seem to know the importance of caching, especially when using lots of SVGs.
    The E17 release manager needs to find something to do since releasing E17 is apparently impossible.

Leave a comment:

• F i L
    replied
    The two issues he mentioned against Gnome-Shell have been fixed in 3.6

Leave a comment:

• TheBlackCat
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    1. a first run is hardly a relevant metric
    My thoughts exactly. It is kind of worrisome that the maintainer of E17 doesn't seem to know the importance of caching, especially when using lots of SVGs.

Leave a comment:

• TheBlackCat
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Wow. Ubuntu really sucks that much? After login into KDE, memory usage on my system is 290MB. What on earth is Ubuntu wasting the additional 1GB memory on?
    A lot of Gnome stuff, probably. Ubuntu is notorious for loading a lot of unnecessary Gnome stuff in the background even when the user is just using KDE.
    Last edited by TheBlackCat; 10 October 2012, 11:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Druedain
    replied
    From what I saw, most problems with KDE is when people are using non-vanilla KDE (such in Ubuntu). For me, moving from Ubuntu to Arch was a real new quality.

Leave a comment:

• smdias
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Once again LXDE is forgotten about, which annoys me considering its pretty much the only TRUE lightweight DE that is still actively maintained.
    That was going to be my question: what about LXDE? I blink and LXDE starts up. Shutdown is almost instantaneous as well.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    I can only say two things:
    1. a first run is hardly a relevant metric
    2. all DEs have performed in the same ballpark

Leave a comment:

• ChrisXY
    replied
    Originally posted by BoTuLoX View Post
    I'm sorry, wha?
    I've barely had any issues with KDE, what the fuck are you talking about? Are you running it on a 1 GB laptop and complaining because you can run a full desktop environment?
    Maybe he ran 4.0 to 4.6?

Now it's mostly the desktop effects that are bugged. I'm running 4.9.2 at the moment and the plasma dashboard makes all windows just disappear behind the "search and run" desktop instead of being desaturated and blurred. I have no preview windows in the taskbar. The localization works unexpectedly. LC_ALL=Some_Locale systemsettings translates the menus and toolbars but not the kcm modules. KDE needs 2 to 3 times as long as booting the kernel including all services and lightdm. The akonadi database in .local/share/akonadi/db_data is growing and growing, especially the ib_logfile* files and you can not remove them because akonadi is going to rebuild them somehow every time you start kde. I'm lucky it's only 148 MB for me but on the internet there are reports of 3+ GB.

And what does he do that he needs 45+ seconds to boot...?

Leave a comment:

• Druedain
    replied
    I know that Fluxbox was really fast when I was using it about a year ago. But it wasn't for me? KDE is much more useful so and that's why it starts 10 seconds longer than E17 (only 10 seconds? I thought I will be about another minute, so I'm positively surprised).

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Once again LXDE is forgotten about, which annoys me considering its pretty much the only TRUE lightweight DE that is still actively maintained.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X