Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zerothis
    replied
    The Gnome team has transferred themselves in to a virtual world on the cloud. We are watching their holographic avatars here in the real world.

Leave a comment:

• FunkyM
    replied
    Clearly, not good

... showing how alienated these GNOME developers are from reality ...
    The quote pretty much sums up the situation...

Leave a comment:

• makoto42
    replied
    Lost theirminds...

The "bad things" for GNOME they pointed out was their focus on the traditional desktop

Obviously they aren't paying attention or just have lost their way. The move to gnome 3 to be less focused on the traditional desktop was what caused the 'brain drain'/loss of uer base. As a desktop environment, they are kind of screwed and jumping harder onto the tablet bandwagon isn't going to save that.

The problem is they are chasing market share like a corporation might rather than taking care of their loyal users. To the extent of abusing the gnome 'brand' by calling the rather exotic desktop experience they created 'gnome 3'.

They really should embrace cinnamon properly into the fold. Those who want to can play gnome shell as an alternative, but at least have the traditional paradigm properly handled without having to jump to an entirely different development toolkit to be consistent with the UI.

Leave a comment:

• fewt
    replied
    I'm not sure how they did it, but I think slide #7 got every single one of the GNOME 3 users into one space for the picture.

trololo

Leave a comment:

• scottishduck
    replied
    Oh look, yet another delusional GNU project.

Leave a comment:

• peperoni
    replied
    I think Gnome is falling over slow minded ~ weird hands. There isn't any vission in their plans, but to follow the current market trends in 2020!!! I din't like what I read.
    On the other hand, and I don't want to be bad, I know that some of the companies in the picture about the future of gnome receive state subsidy on countries which are very affected by the current crysis.
    Last edited by peperoni; 29 July 2012, 07:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Teho
    replied
    Originally posted by liam View Post
    How was that number of developers decided upon?
    You would probably have to ask that from Qt project.

Qt is not part of the Genivi requirments (see Ubuntu Core and Mentor IVI, the former usew gtk, the later its own toolkit, and both are Genivi v2 compliant).
    To me it seems that the Qt based IVIs are the only ones that are actively developed.

Regarding the browsers, isnt that telling that rather than use the most advanced, easieat to use, flexible, powerful, performant toolkit out there, each choose to make there own instead (except on linux where they went with gtk)?
    Browser have very specific needs and are more concerned with consistency between platforms than integrating to each and everyone perfectly. Firefox and probably Chrome are not really using GTK+ as a toolkit but rather a simple mean of integrating better to the system. They don't seem to use any/many GTK+ widgets for example. Chrome has also moved futher and futher away from GTK+ and Firefox and Chrome OS seem to have ditched Clutter completely.

Leave a comment:

• AJSB
    replied
    That picture is in extremely poor taste.
    Indeed...and kinda represents the future of GNOME as things seem to go

The text on it also reminds me some phrases in the game FALLOUT 3

Leave a comment:

• StephanG
    replied
    Personally, I think that Gnome is going fail horribly if it doesn't return to the VERY basics of marketing : Who is your TARGET MARKET?

Everytime they speak, it sounds to me as though they are saying:

"You know how we tried to please everyone. Well, it turns out that everyone isn't quite happy with our product. But, even though the strategy we've been using up to this point has been costing us users we're not going to change it. Instead, we're going to TRY HARDER. And then, everyone will see how awesome we really are, and how stupid they were for wanting to use anything else, and they'll come running back, and Bill Gates will start using Gnome and all the bad guys will repent and turn to the Gnome way of life, and we'll all live in a world full of rainbows and unicorns."

As long as they live in this dream that it's impossible to take on the entire world by themselves, they will simply get more and more marginalized. Instead, figure out who you are, what you can bring to the table, and work WITH the other DE's so that everyone can use whatever software combinations and configurations that they want.

Leave a comment:

• liam
    replied
    Originally posted by Teho View Post
    Eh... there are 450000 Qt developers around the world and it's used very widely in the industry. From Wikipedia:It's also base of the GENIVI Alliances (BMW Group, Delphi, GM, Intel, Magneti-Marelli, PSA Peugeot Citroen, Visteon, and Wind River Systems) automotive in-vehicle infotainment systems and all of this is just scratching the surface. Projects like Chrome and Firefox both have their own toolkits and only use GTK+ on Linux for better integration.
    How was that number of developers decided upon?
    Qt is not part of the Genivi requirments (see Ubuntu Core and Mentor IVI, the former usew gtk, the later its own toolkit, and both are Genivi v2 compliant).
    Regarding the browsers, isnt that telling that rather than use the most advanced, easieat to use, flexible, powerful, performant toolkit out there, each choose to make there own instead (except on linux where they went with gtk)?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X