Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blindfrog
    replied
    Indeed the fonts are still soft and fuzzy lacking any kind of sub-pixel hinting. Menus and url bar are like they should be, but web sites fonts just hurts/strains eyes.

Leave a comment:

• BlackStar
    replied
    Originally posted by garytr24 View Post
    Font kerning is a religious issue, chrome should have an option to respect users desktop settings just like every other app, but I think defaulting to something that looks the same on every platform is a very good idea, and i think that's why they made it that way.
    Nope, it looks nothing like kerning on windows (which works fine). This looks like a typical rounding bug (accumulating error causing off-by-1 artifacts).

Originally posted by elanthis
    The slowness is quick likely to be a driver issue. Anyone reading this site knows that the Linux graphics stack is still broke as hell for most hardware (maybe "soon" it can handle simple freaking 2D without too much pain).
    The slowness is present on both nvidia and fglrx, Linux *and* Windows. My guess is that this is a webkit issue, since it's been present since Chrome 1.0.

Go to a heavy website (e.g. http://www.gamedev.net/), zoom in by two clicks and try scrolling around to see what I mean.

Leave a comment:

• garytr24
    replied
    Originally posted by Tares View Post
    Is there a real 64bit version ? or just a 32bit one with 64bit package ?
    yes, 64-bit

Leave a comment:

• Tares
    replied
    Is there a real 64bit version ? or just a 32bit one with 64bit package ?

Leave a comment:

• garytr24
    replied
    kerning and scrolling

Font kerning is a religious issue, chrome should have an option to respect users desktop settings just like every other app, but I think defaulting to something that looks the same on every platform is a very good idea, and i think that's why they made it that way.

Scrolling is uber-fast (perfect) for me on an intel x4500mhd and ubuntu karmic.

Leave a comment:

• elanthis
    replied
    Having installed it... yeah, it's definitely fast. Any slowness issues are almost definitely driver issues. Chrome seems to be triggering even more -ati driver bugs than Firefox did (my GNOME panel just totally disappeared even though I can click on it and interact with it just fine, where-as using Firefox usually just caused icons and text to get distorted and glitch out after a while), but it's definitely very, very fast.

Leave a comment:

• droidhacker
    replied
    Originally posted by Melcar View Post
    Yeah, Chrome is awesome. It seems to be a bit slower than Firefox (and Firefox is slow), but that's no biggy for me. My addiction to Firefox plugins is hard to break though.
    Unbelievably fast is more like it.
    Holy crap this is fast.

Leave a comment:

• elanthis
    replied
    The slowness is quick likely to be a driver issue. Anyone reading this site knows that the Linux graphics stack is still broke as hell for most hardware (maybe "soon" it can handle simple freaking 2D without too much pain).

Leave a comment:

• BlackStar
    replied
    Two issues kill Chrome/Linux for me:

1. Bad font rendering. It does not respect my system font settings (tabs and omnibar render at smaller font sizes than what I have configured) and its kerning algorithm is broken (just enter ''''''''''''''' on any text field, e.g. google.com, and compare it with Firefox/Opera).

2. Slow scrolling, especially when zoomed-in or out. Both Opera and Firefox destroy Chrome here.

Leave a comment:

• garytr24
    replied
    no way it's slower. Been using it for months on Linux and before on windows since it came out on multiple computers. It's got the snappy feel, perpetually. Firefox, by comparison is a hog without any extensions even. I still keep it around though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X