openSUICIDE Tumbleeed - ugh.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUICIDE Tumbleeed - ugh.

I have an openSUSE Tumbleweed system I don't use very often. It can often go a few months without being booted up, as I just don't particularly need it right now. Basically near new install, and the only software packages I've installed are Davinci Resolve and Steam.

I boot it up yesterday, and the "Software Update" tray icon says there are ~2,500 updates that need to be installed. Fair enough, it hasn't been booted in a while. I click go ahead, and then it immediately fails and tells me there are some issues. I try to click something (anything) to get more information, and I could not. I had to go into YaST, navigate to online update, figure out how to make that start updating (I am not sure why the "Software Update" tray icon couldn't just take me to the relevant area in YaST?).

Once YaST tried to start updating, it failed. It provided much more information, and there seemed to be odd version conflicts with various packages, but the information it was providing me didn't really make sense (i.e., it would say a package required version 3.2 of some dependency, but it would then say version 3.2.0 is installed...) I told YaST to just not install the updates for those offending packages.

After YaST finished installing the 2000+ updates, it asked for a reboot to activate the new kernel. Upon restart, the system immediately failed to boot with systemD complaining about not being able to find some files.

Thanks openSUSE. It's not even worth the effort to try and recover it. Just going to nuke everything and reinstall.

Maybe some day Linux will be ready for prime time.
Working...
X