KDE Lands Wayland Fractional Scaling Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avis View Post
    Under KDE/Gnome? OK. What about a myriad of other Wayland implementations/compositors?
    We currently have two standards for system tray indicators: https://specifications.freedesktop.org/systemtray-spec/ https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/StatusNotifierItem/

avis the interesting point is the X11 protocol system tray was effectively deprecated a decade ago. This was replaced by StatusNotifierItem​ a dbus based protocol. Any current application doing systray that X11 application should really work with Wayland compositor without major issues. Yes Gnome and KDE under X11 don't so X11 protocol system tray you have to use a different application if you need that.

https://github.com/LBCrion/sfwbar If you are running using the old protocol for system tray there is the options of using sfwbar for most Wayland compositors. For the ones that that does not work use the same applications that use to be used to work around lack of X11 system tray with gnome and kde with Xwayland.

Plasma 5 has abandoned the old xembed-based system tray support. I mentioned that in my announcement post for the Plasma 5 packages for Slackware-current, and also mentioned that there are solution…

Yes it was 2014 when KDE under X11 got rid of supporting X11 system tray icons and only support dbus system tray icons.

Yes sfwbar from sway developers support both the old X11 system tray with Xwayland and the new dbus StatusNotifierItem system tray.

avis system tray is a broken mess under X11 between the different windows managers and desktop environment solutions needing users to install different applications so it works. The reality here Wayland compositor implementations of system trays are equal as broken as the X11 ones. And just like under X11 with wayland compositors you have to install systray apps that everything works how you expect.

Comment

"The Year of the Wayland Desktop" is coming.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
        Under KDE/Gnome? OK. What about a myriad of other Wayland implementations/compositors?
        Sorry. KDE Wayland seems to be almost unusable on my computer.
        But i can confirm that system tray for XWayland apps seem to work.
        Last edited by pracedru; 18 December 2022, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Its great that KDE works on Wayland... All power to the development team.
          But its not even close to being ready IMO.
          If you want to try Wayland I am afraid that Gnome is your only real choice.
          So, just to hammer this issue some more. Wayland works and is done and has been done so for a long time. Its the DE's that has a lot of work to do on reimplement a lot of clonky legacy stuff from X11.

Comment

Originally posted by Sho_ View Post
            For the record, the new fractional scaling support under discussion here doesn't do any up/downsampling of windows. That was already previously supported (and KWin has a Lanczos filter since at least 2010), and it is still used with app toolkits that don't support a new Wayland protocol (in wayland-protocols v1.31, from late Novemver) that now allows the compositor and the app to agree on a fractional scale, allowing the app to optimize for it. This is what the blog is talking about. KWin now supports it, Qt supports it, GTK support is in the works.

A couple of posts earlier in the thread about image filtering and protocol-vs-compositor were incorrect; I hope this clears things up a bit.
            Qt is going to support it, likely since the 6 release of it, then, providing patches for 5.15.X Qt:
            When is it coming? Well, KWin already has support in Plasma 5.27. Support in Qt is only in Qt 6 right now, meaning we won’t reap the benefits until Plasma 6. There’s a chance it could be backported to KDE’s Qt 5.15 patch collection, though. Stay tuned!

The benefit of this feature such as Wayland APIs in general will begin not before of PLASMA 6 based on Qt6, 6 Kernel release and 6 framework release as well.... a bit evil satanic conception of the releases in this case
            What I'm curious about deals with the compatibility with Nvidia proprietary drivers.
            Last edited by MorrisS.; 18 December 2022, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Wayland is like nuclear fusion, only 30 years away after the last time we said only 30 years away.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
                Wayland is like nuclear fusion, only 30 years away after the last time we said only 30 years away.
                I would give it 40 myself xD

Comment

Originally posted by Sho_ View Post
                  GTK support is in the works.
                  Where does that info come from? The only thing I can find on it is GNOME devs refusing to do anything about since it requires too much internal rework and might result in API breakage (for no clear reason).
                  Hello. I would to tell you a real problem. I really love Gnome but it doesn't support HiDPI fractional scaling. On my laptop, I need to set fractional...

Comment

Originally posted by xfcemint View Post

Amazing. In that case, I'm actually quite impressed with the high-level of support for fractional scaling that KDE offers. I can't imagine any better solution than the one you have described.

So, the reason why some users reported blurriness in this thread must be other than the one I have guessed.
                    Did you just not even bother to read what the fractional scaling protocol entailed and how it worked? It would have been obvious if you had rather than going off on a tangent about Lanczos filtering.

Comment

Congrats Plasma devs! Plasma Wayland is still a no-go for me due to a number of missing features like custom touchpad gestures but given the enormous amount of work already landed I can see that it might change in a year or two, so fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
                      X