LXQt 1.1 Released With XDG Desktop Portal Integration, Other New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arun54321 View Post
    The taskbar and system tray looks too old. they should copy KDE's taskbar.
    If they did, it would end up being a copy of LiquidShell (a KDE-derived desktop environment).

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

Once I switch to OpenBSD as my daily driver (whenever that day comes) If I have need to run applications that don't work on OpenBSD and only Linux I will be using X11 forwarding over ssh probably every day! While not as simple as using a pipe like cat foo.txt | grep "word", I would call X11 forwarding similar to piping.
      why ?

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
        I wish if they focus on Wayland support
        Try LWQt: https://github.com/Mark-4158?tab=repositories

Comment

I wonder if there's a way to lower the spacing between desktop icons and/or margins/padding.

Comment

Why does everything have to be about Wayland, I actually prefer X11, it is a more robust protocol even supporting piping windows over the network! Is it over engineered? Probably but it has been a standard since before I was born in the 1980s. Supports real Unix, *BSDs, Linux, Illumos distros, etc. Wayland was designed with only Linux in mind, not any of the Unix versions like AIX or HP-UX or Solaris, none of the *BSDs, no Illumos distros. So far out of the operating systems I listed only FreeBSD has landed basic wayland support.
            This contains mistakes. 3 BSD platforms have landed basic Wayland support that is NetBSD, FreeBSD, DragonFly BSD. Sorry piping X11 over network is not a hot idea. X11 protocol is not that robust.
            The following lead to wayland starting development.
            1) X11 core protocol was designed before security was a consideration. Xace attempted to fix X11 security issue but its basically unfix-able without altering the core protocol that breaks everything.
            2)X11 core protocol was designed before Opengl and Vulkan and multi monitor so there is a lot of duplication in functionally between opengl/vulkan and X11 this lead to horrible corner cases and very bad network performance. Yes most people miss that X11 mandates that all screens are turned into a single image no matter what.
            3)List the parts funding/providing developers for X11 protocol development and maintenance that has been Linux distribution and Freebsd for the past 15 years. Real Unix like AIX, HP-UX, Solaris money is not seen here.

Once I switch to OpenBSD as my daily driver (whenever that day comes) If I have need to run applications that don't work on OpenBSD and only Linux I will be using X11 forwarding over ssh probably every day! While not as simple as using a pipe like cat foo.txt | grep "word", I would call X11 forwarding similar to piping.
            You really don't want to do this. You will find out very quickly lots of Linux applications use Opengl. As soon as you are using opengl with raw ssh X11 forwarding your performance is totally tanked. You will end up needing virtualgl or equal. Of course as we go forwards we are going to get applications that need Vulkan that virtualgl will not help with. This will basically force you to xpra or X2go(or something else middle) and still have sub par performance.

This article presents an interpretation of the history surrounding the ability for X clients to interact with X servers that are running on other machines over a network; recent arguments as to tha…

X11 protocol network transparency has ceased to be a generally usable thing due to way modern applications work. Really kylew77 lot of people say ssh X11 without in fact using it to know its busted for lots of applications. You will be ssh with xpra or x2go or something else and still having a bad time. Virtual machine with GPU pass though starts looking good.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin2x View Post

No. KDE is overbloated and LXQt is purposefully going minimalistic.
              I do not agree on that [KDE] enduring myth anymore!

And i would honestly like to see something like this: ( https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...h=1338b70026d2 ) but Plasma vs LXQt.

I believe LXQt will win for sure. But the question is for how much?

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
                This contains mistakes. 3 BSD platforms have landed basic Wayland support that is NetBSD, FreeBSD, DragonFly BSD. Sorry piping X11 over network is not a hot idea. X11 protocol is not that robust.
                The following lead to wayland starting development.
                1) X11 core protocol was designed before security was a consideration. Xace attempted to fix X11 security issue but its basically unfix-able without altering the core protocol that breaks everything.
                2)X11 core protocol was designed before Opengl and Vulkan and multi monitor so there is a lot of duplication in functionally between opengl/vulkan and X11 this lead to horrible corner cases and very bad network performance. Yes most people miss that X11 mandates that all screens are turned into a single image no matter what.
                3)List the parts funding/providing developers for X11 protocol development and maintenance that has been Linux distribution and Freebsd for the past 15 years. Real Unix like AIX, HP-UX, Solaris money is not seen here.

You really don't want to do this. You will find out very quickly lots of Linux applications use Opengl. As soon as you are using opengl with raw ssh X11 forwarding your performance is totally tanked. You will end up needing virtualgl or equal. Of course as we go forwards we are going to get applications that need Vulkan that virtualgl will not help with. This will basically force you to xpra or X2go(or something else middle) and still have sub par performance.

This article presents an interpretation of the history surrounding the ability for X clients to interact with X servers that are running on other machines over a network; recent arguments as to tha…

X11 protocol network transparency has ceased to be a generally usable thing due to way modern applications work. Really kylew77 lot of people say ssh X11 without in fact using it to know its busted for lots of applications. You will be ssh with xpra or x2go or something else and still having a bad time. Virtual machine with GPU pass though starts looking good.
                I did not know all of this thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post

Vulkan is better on the Raspberry Pi, but it still is what it is. VkQuake struggles to be playable above 1024x768, something my PC-from-a-scrap-heap could do handily in 1999. The notion that the Pi is a responsive machine held back by bloat or inefficient software is just incorrect. It has the fraction of the horsepower (CPU and GPU) needed to do basic day-to-day stuff unless you have a lot of patience.

That said... Yes. It would be better to get the Pi on a lightweight DE that stood on Wayland and Vulkan, I think it will be slightly less bad. It won't be a game-changer though.
                  I wonder how the RPI3 would compare with an Android phone/iPhone. I am sure it is significantly more powerful than an iPhone 3Gs and it's still less responsive...

Comment

Working...
                  X