X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intelfx
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

There is nothing to prove. LFS outright says so. https://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blf...vn/x/mesa.html
    Well, I wanted you to prove the claim itself, not the mere fact that LFS claims something.

libva-2.12.0 (to provide VA-API support for some gallium drivers, note that there is a circular dependency. You must build libva first without EGL and GLX support, install this package, and rebuild libva),
    But anyway. You seem to be misreading the manual. It simply says that there is a circular dependency, not that "if Mesa is updated, VAAPI and VDPAU and every other library or application that depends on them need to be recompiled as well".

Circular dependencies do not imply any sort of API/ABI instability.

A laptop whose battery cannot even spare that bit of power to supply a 6w processor with enough juice to play a 720p or 1080p video for a few minutes deserves to be thrown to the trashcan.

[emphasis mine -- intelfx]
    And again you project your own usecases onto everyone. Also, not all laptop processors are 6w.

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by intelfx View Post

That just can't be true. Can you prove it? I can prove the inverse.
    There is nothing to prove. LFS outright says so. https://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blf...vn/x/mesa.html

Originally posted by Linux From Scratch
    libva-2.12.0 (to provide VA-API support for some gallium drivers, note that there is a circular dependency. You must build libva first without EGL and GLX support, install this package, and rebuild libva),

Originally posted by intelfx View Post
    Sorry, not everyone is living tethered to the electrical outlet. Hardware offload is vital for power efficiency.
    A laptop whose battery cannot even spare that bit of power to supply a 6w processor with enough juice to play a 720p or 1080p video for a few minutes deserves to be thrown to the trashcan.

Leave a comment:

• intelfx
    replied
    VAAPI and VDPAU is not worth the effort.

According to LFS, if Mesa is updated, VAAPI and VDPAU and every other library or application that depends on them need to be recompiled as well.
    That just can't be true. Can you prove it? I can prove the inverse.

Code:
    $ pacman -Qi mesa | egrep 'Name|Version|Date'
    Name : mesa
    Version : 21.2.1-1
    Build Date : Fri Aug 20 09:33:11 2021
    Install Date : Sat Aug 21 16:29:46 2021

$ pacman -Qi intel-media-driver | egrep 'Name|Version|Date'
    Name : intel-media-driver
    Version : 21.3.2-1
    Build Date : Sat Aug 21 17:37:05 2021
    Install Date : Mon Aug 23 22:31:09 2021

$ pacman -Qi libva | egrep 'Name|Version|Date'
    Name : libva
    Version : 2.12.0-1
    Build Date : Fri Jun 18 22:36:34 2021
    Install Date : Mon Jun 21 07:10:08 2021

Way too much work for me when all I want to do is just to build the latest Mesa release. So it stays wilfully broken on my system. Considering how an Apollo Lake-era Atom has enough juice to play a 1080p video on software, it's a reasonable tradeoff.
    Sorry, not everyone is living tethered to the electrical outlet. Hardware offload is vital for power efficiency.

Leave a comment:

• evasb
    replied
    VAAPI works fine on my Firefox and my mpv.

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
    VAAPI is just borked depending on the hardware. none of my older intel laptops work with it. but brave browser works fine.
    VAAPI and VDPAU is not worth the effort.

According to LFS, if Mesa is updated, VAAPI and VDPAU and every other library or application that depends on them need to be recompiled as well.

Way too much work for me when all I want to do is just to build the latest Mesa release. So it stays wilfully broken on my system. Considering how an Apollo Lake-era Atom has enough juice to play a 1080p video on software, it's a reasonable tradeoff.

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post

Open about:compat in Firefox and see for yourself. Living sober is not that bad.
    You win one internetz for today!

Leave a comment:

• perpetually high
    replied

Open about:compat in Firefox and see for yourself. Living sober is not that bad.
    You're an absolute prick. And to think, I was thinking to myself "Man, birdie has been posting awesome shit lately."

Loser in life and not a single soul respects you online. Try way harder and never quote me again. Not interested in anything you have to say.

Leave a comment:

• MartinN
    replied

I checked all of the websites - they all appear to render well and the issues listed are fixed.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied

Presumably any sites in that list are fixed, right? And not having any problems or forcing someone to use a different browser.

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    How to test WebGPU?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X