Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox Making Strides On Improved Linux Stability Thanks To Better Crash Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wujj123456
    replied
    Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Not sure if I'm missing something but if I open the "View all History" tab I can then select multiple rows and hit delete and they are all deleted in less than a second.
    Have you tried selecting lots of rows, like at least hundreds? From my experience, the time it takes to delete entries scales with number of entries I try to delete, perhaps non-linearly. I had to select a few pages at a time or it just freezes for a long long time. At least if I am patient, when it eventually comes back the entries were indeed deleted.

Leave a comment:

• ix900
    replied
    Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
    I don't think I have had a crash in 7 or 8 years and I live on the leading edge. But I must say I sure wish they would figure what is wrong with their history delete. One minute per entry? Try to delete all your Google history and your desktop is unusable for a day? Even with an NVME and modern creator level system. Come on.
    Just the other day it crashed with no web page loaded! lol. Never went one year without crashes. You must not be using the same browser.

Leave a comment:

• andreano
    replied
    Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
    with a lot of tabs open over a long time, it sometimes hangs and takes everything with it. I can't even move the mouse and i need to reboot.
    Exactly the symptom of running out of memory if you don't have swap (swap makes it more gradual, so you have a chance to notice before it freezes completely). The OOM killer may work in theory, but it takes an eternity in cases like this (at least more than a weekend, I have experienced on several occasions). Enable zram if you still haven't.
    Last edited by andreano; 19 May 2021, 06:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    Here Firefox is freezing every time I left it open to play a game, on X11 at least. On my case, at least I'm not using it stock tough, with multiple about:config mods to enable hardware accel and a bunch of extensions running.

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post
    I think they export the list as json and compress with lz4 after every delete operation. Then they import, decompress lz4, deserialize json, clear the GUI and redraw the GUI after each insertion. Does anyone have any idea how to do it more efficiently?
    Probably an append-only log with saved aggregates would work better. They can immediately sync the operation to disk, and then just save the aggregate over the log when you close the window (or even less often). If they wanted the log compressed as well, I think lz4 is append-safe? (I know zstd is, I use it for commit logs at work).

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Well, maybe some of you folks are lucky. I only use Firefox for webpage testing because I just don't like it in general; but I have experienced two tab crashes and one whole browser crash over the past year with what must be less than five hours of cumulative use. I looked at the dumps for all of them and one of them I can say probably had to do with a library, but otherwise...

In any event, kudos to the guys at Mozilla getting this figured out, hope the Linux platform starts feeling less like a second class citizen over time.

Leave a comment:

• Nille_kungen
    replied
    Firefox is much better now than a few years ago then it crashed rather often, i remember that alibaba.com used to hang firefox back then.
    But with a lot of tabs open over a long time it sometimes hangs and takes everything with it i can't even move the mouse and i need to reboot.

Leave a comment:

• F.Ultra
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post

I think they export the list as json and compress with lz4 after every delete operation. Then they import, decompress lz4, deserialize json, clear the GUI and redraw the GUI after each insertion. Does anyone have any idea how to do it more efficiently?
    Not sure if I'm missing something but if I open the "View all History" tab I can then select multiple rows and hit delete and they are all deleted in less than a second.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
    I don't think I have had a crash in 7 or 8 years and I live on the leading edge. But I must say I sure wish they would figure what is wrong with their history delete. One minute per entry? Try to delete all your Google history and your desktop is unusable for a day? Even with an NVME and modern creator level system. Come on.

Leave a comment:

• flower
    replied
    i would like to see some sort of analysis which distribution does the worst job in packaging ff

Leave a comment:

Working...
X