X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lucrus
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    The JavaScript thing doesn't really make it any less secure since the browser already executes JavaScript on webpages.
    The perceived security problem here is different. PDF files are commonly sent as email attachments, while webpages with JS code are not, because a webpage with JS code not being served directly by a webserver is almost useless.

Once the user opens a PDF attachment, its JS code runs in whatever PDF reader the user happens to have installed, and the security bounds aren't necessarily the same as those of the browser running JS code, potentially providing a new attack vector in the form of mail phishing + PDF attachments.

All that ovbiously has nothing to do with Firefox, but many commentors here didn't know JS code in PDF files already existed, so reading this article made them assume it was a Firefox invention opening up all sorts of zero day exploits.

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    The thing that renders the PDF is the JavaScript library pdf.js, so it is all JavaScript anyways.
    Yes, but, on the other hand, that does not mean that the attack surface of a plain PDF file is the same as the attack surface of a scripted one.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Mathias View Post
    As long as it is just used to verify Form inputs, I see no problem there.
    DRM to hinder book printing

I edited my comment, I meant only in the context of Firefox (or Chrome). I agree that ShitPDF Pro will probably be less secure if they support JS. So in general, supporting JS in PDF will result in less security for users of unsecure, not updated readers.
    Sadly, ShitPDF Pro still being bundled on installers that come with hardware...
    And what about Android, in where Chrome cannot expose its own PDF reader?
    And what about iOS, in where PDF exploits were found to jailbreak or insert malware at root level?

Leave a comment:

• Mathias
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    - Potentially unprintable documents (paper can't run code)
    As long as it is just used to verify Form inputs, I see no problem there.
    - You know how vulnerable PDF has been in the past with exploits here and there. Expect another exploit the next year.
    I edited my comment, I meant only in the context of Firefox (or Chrome). I agree that ShitPDF Pro will probably be less secure if they support JS. So in general, supporting JS in PDF will result in less security for users of unsecure, not updated readers.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post

There is a fair bit that is wrong with FTP. The inane binary/ascii distinction, the active mode or a RFC that is full of MAY and SHOULD, to name but a few.

Anyway, what is the point of it today when we have webdav, why would you want to use it?
    Agreed. One day I struggled to download a driver over FTP because for some reason the file was corrupted.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    I don't think JS in PDF is a security issue if you download the file from the web, since that website executes far more JS anyways. IMO using JS in PDF forms to check validity is not a bad usecase. Any more interactivity and I'd switch to something called HTML5.

If you want researchers to publish interactive stuff, give them a website. Why should they be limited to Paper-sized stuff?
    JavaScript in PDF means two things:
    - Potentially unprintable documents (paper can't run code)
    - You know how vulnerable PDF has been in the past with exploits here and there. Expect another exploit the next year.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by rockiron View Post
    Why they are removing support for FTP????

What's wrong with FTP????

The fact that Dropbox doesn't support FTP means that Dropbox should support it, not that we should drop it
    Applying encryption to FTP is a rather obscure thing (and passwords are still sent in plain-text).
    The protocol itself is slow for initiating a file transfer (6-7 commands, versus HTTP which is 1 command).
    Sure, with FTP you can manipulate files, but I would rather use SFTP instead...

The demoscene will miss FTP...
    Last edited by tildearrow; 20 April 2021, 01:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bosjc
    replied
    Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

According to this website: https://9to5linux.com/firefox-88-is-...ntel-amd-users the ball has been moved down the field in that direction.

But I can neither confirm nor deny these allegations.
    Yeah, seems to be working on my all AMD system on KDE now. Also on my laptop using the official optimus support and intel GPU. Wonder when they will turn it on for nvidia only? I also wonder if they still have any more big performance stuff in the pipeline with servo kind of dead?

Leave a comment:

• Mathias
    replied
    I don't think JS in PDF is a security issue [edit: in Firefox] if you download the file from the web, since that website executes far more JS anyways. IMO using JS in PDF forms to check validity is not a bad usecase. Any more interactivity and I'd switch to something called HTML5.

If you want researchers to publish interactive stuff, give them a website. Why should they be limited to Paper-sized stuff?
    Last edited by Mathias; 20 April 2021, 02:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by rockiron View Post
    Why they are removing support for FTP????

What's wrong with FTP????

The fact that Dropbox doesn't support FTP means that Dropbox should support it, not that we should drop it
    FTP allows MITM. End of story. This protocol is good for LAN file delivery, for other use cases it's a huge unwarranted risk. I won't miss it.

Besides Firefox totally sucks as an FTP client - you cannot upload/delete/rename/edit files, you cannot select individual files to download. Use any dedicated FTP client instead.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by garegin View Post
    Not a network engineer, but doesn't HTTP have all the basic features that FTP has, making the later redundant. Please chime in.
    FTP was built to manage files (list, send, edit, retrieve them) - HTTP was created to serve web pages and reply to GET/POST requests.

Two absolutely different protocols for absolutely different use cases. They only intersect at downloading and uploading individual files.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X