Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
    ssokolow
    Qt has QTextBoundaryFinder to iterate over grapheme clusters: https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtextboundaryfinder.html
    Thanks. I suspected it had something like that yet but, so far, I've only ever needed to do it on the Rust side of a PyQt+PyO3 stack. (My way of binding QWidget APIs to Rust in a QML/C++-esque compromise. Qt frontend, reusable Rust backend.)

Comment

• Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
      Would that be Watcom or something else?
      Borland, actually. It's not really a problem until somebody gets the idea to use `sizeof(TheEnum)` for serialization. The truly sad part is that it wasn't that long ago

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
        lowflyer
        I'm only stressing multiplatformity because that is Qt's biggest selling point.
        The only place where multiplatfom really matters is desktop and mobile. This is the place where Qt really shines. All the other places are niche platforms where this advantage boils down to "tooklit knowledge".

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
        I still don't get your argument about STL vs. Qt library.
        and STL is a pretty huge chunk of 3rd-party code to rely on.
        Personally, I find it unrewarding to pit the STL against Qt especially with arguments from the past. But the bigger issue is that you seem to misunderstand the status of the STL. It is part of the language definition - not "3rd-party" code.

I feel like you are trying to judge Qt's design decisions with today's optics.
        Well yes. To some degree I do. It's because I actually like Qt. As the whole industry progresses, I see Qt remaining in its errors - and I don't like that.

- QString documentation is very clear about the fact that methods that take an index operate on code units and not codepoints nor graphemes.
        - Qt has means to deal with "human" text units that take QString as the input. Again, since QString has a more strict definition than any STL string type, it is easier to write such functionality.
        It's not in the QString documentation and they mislead people by using "UTF-16" where they should better say "UCS-2". And the link to QTextBoundaryFinder that JackLilhammers pointed out is missing.

The STL has an equally strict defined string type, so there's no distinct advantage of QString in this respect (not addressing implicit sharing here).

Comment

• Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
          And the link to QTextBoundaryFinder that JackLilhammers pointed out is missing.
          That's clearly a gap in their documentation, which is very well done imho, but could be better.
          OTOH the docs for PySide are very much a work in progress

Comment

Working...
          X