Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JackLilhammers
    replied
    oiaohm while I hope that you're right, I sincerely doubt that a full featured Wayland desktop will change things outside of the Linux world

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
    Your comment had nothing to do with modern paradigms or personal taste. Nor mine.
    Your point was that Red Hat makes Gnome, therefore Red Hat cares about the desktop.
    IMO you were also implying they care in the same way as Apple and Microsoft do, which is clearly not the case and it's something only a fanboy could say.
    If that was not your stance, than sorry for the misunderstanding
    There is a side to this to remember as well. For a lot of Redhat market selling a Linux desktop solution has not be major possibility due to the X11 issues like no correct way to implement a lock screen.

Redhat has been one of the major parties pushing for Wayland against Nvidia resistance.
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Its really to simple to forgot that some of the reason for Redhat appearance of lack of interest in the desktop is how crap X11 is and how hard its been to get something not X11 that secure and works has been.

Once a secure Linux Desktop can be made that Redhat can sell the investment level in desktop work by Redhat could increase quite a bit.

We don't need a lot of people saying X11 works for me. The hard reality is Linux Desktop using X11 cannot tick the boxes lots of major companies and governments want ticked to allow something as a desktop OS. The day this changes properly things will get really interesting.

Leave a comment:

• JackLilhammers
    replied
    Originally posted by omer666 View Post
    Trolls always seem to get this wrong. Just because some people actually like using modern paradigms doesn't mean they are fanboys. That's called tastes.
    Your comment had nothing to do with modern paradigms or personal taste. Nor mine.
    Your point was that Red Hat makes Gnome, therefore Red Hat cares about the desktop.
    IMO you were also implying they care in the same way as Apple and Microsoft do, which is clearly not the case and it's something only a fanboy could say.
    If that was not your stance, than sorry for the misunderstanding

Leave a comment:

• omer666
    replied
    Originally posted by JackLilHammers
    Fanboys always seem to get this wrong.
    Trolls always seem to get this wrong. Just because some people actually like using modern paradigms doesn't mean they are fanboys. That's called tastes.

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    Note that I'm not talking about sluggishness of the system, I'm only talking about smoothness of the desktop animations. But to answer your question, I haven't tried KDE on this specific hardware, but I remember trying both Gnome and KDE on different hardwares and the animations sluggishness was only in Gnome, not KDE.
    However, here we are talking the same Gnome build on the same hardware and in Wayland it runs smoother than in X11. My guess is that the issue is related to vsync with multiple monitors, and that Wayland enables Gnome to do the right thing when it comes to preventing screen tearing.
    Thanks!

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
    You dislike Gnome Shell intensely, but the moment someone skins Gnome Shell by literally only baking some extensions right into it and calling it Cinnamon, you seem to completely forget your intense dislike.
    Amazingly, while they might share a common back-end, they look and feel very different in daily use.

When features I liked, and used regularly, in Gnome 2 were missing in Gnome Shell - and worse, a mission critical application had problems with it - I went looking elsewhere. For a while I toyed with KDE, which I want to like, but always seems to take me too long to get tweaked to my liking. Then I used XFCE, which I liked, but unfortunately it didn't like triple-monitor. Unity and KDE were actually the best behaved desktops for triple-monitor, but I had the urge to try something new. I actually tried Cinnamon expecting not to like it all that much... and was pleased to discover that the default configuration in Mint was almost exactly how I wanted my desktop set up.

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
    It's called combining quality assurance and features which meet market demand in the same product... something GNOME doesn't seem to understand.

(i.e. Taking responsibility for ensuring a minimum level of reliability and function in the configurations users actually want to use because, otherwise, the more you push your product as suitable for purpose, the more they'll be predisposed to seeing you as negligent or actively antagonistic.)
    Agreed.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

You dislike Gnome Shell intensely, but the moment someone skins Gnome Shell by literally only baking some extensions right into it and calling it Cinnamon, you seem to completely forget your intense dislike.
    It's called combining quality assurance and features which meet market demand in the same product... something GNOME doesn't seem to understand.

(i.e. Taking responsibility for ensuring a minimum level of reliability and function in the configurations users actually want to use because, otherwise, the more you push your product as suitable for purpose, the more they'll be predisposed to seeing you as negligent or actively antagonistic.)

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    Originally posted by vegabook View Post

Unfortunately this means I'll wait. Really want to get onto Wayland but last time I tried, in the middle of sensitive meetings, all of a sudden I'm fighting the technology. With X I have zero problems of this type. Here's hoping this gets fixed soon.
    Yeah, I agree. It's really frustrating. Clearly the Wayland implementation for screen sharing is complete in Gnome, but apps aren't being updated to properly use it.

Leave a comment:

• vegabook
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post

Partially. It depends on how you run them. If you use a recent enough version of Chrome (maybe Chromium as well), then Meet and Zoom can share a window, but not the entire screen. And it allows sharing some windows but not others. Not sure what causes some windows to be missing from the lis; maybe related to XWayland or something, but that's just a guess.
    If you use the Zoom desktop app then you have two different issues: First, it can only share the entire screen; you can't select to share only a single window. Second, it only works on some distros. For example, it works on Ubuntu but not on PopOS even though PopOS is derived from Ubuntu.
    Unfortunately this means I'll wait. Really want to get onto Wayland but last time I tried, in the middle of sensitive meetings, all of a sudden I'm fighting the technology. With X I have zero problems of this type. Here's hoping this gets fixed soon.

Leave a comment:

• Alexmitter
    replied
    Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

without any sluggishness on the desktop. ... Cinnamon at different times. If I tried Gnome on there and saw it being slow, I would just put it down to Gnome being rubbish, as I dislike Gnome Shell intensely.

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

Interesting. Is this just a Gnome thing? I ran dual monitors for years in Linux at work, and I ran triple 1200p for about five years and triple 1440p for two (two different systems) without any sluggishness on the desktop. XFCE, Unity and Cinnamon at different times. If I tried Gnome on there (I might have, but honestly can't remember!) and saw it being slow, I would just put it down to Gnome being rubbish, as I dislike Gnome Shell intensely. I still test it every so often, though, just to see if they've tweaked things that annoy me, to make things better or worse.

It might also be the woefully underpowered Intel iGPU, I suppose, as the performance of the 4400 iGPU on my Yoga 2 Pro was astonishingly poor at the screens native res, if I plugged in another monitor via the mini-HDMI port. The triple screen desktops were all running nVidia GPUs because of my need for CUDA.
    Note that I'm not talking about sluggishness of the system, I'm only talking about smoothness of the desktop animations. But to answer your question, I haven't tried KDE on this specific hardware, but I remember trying both Gnome and KDE on different hardwares and the animations sluggishness was only in Gnome, not KDE.
    However, here we are talking the same Gnome build on the same hardware and in Wayland it runs smoother than in X11. My guess is that the issue is related to vsync with multiple monitors, and that Wayland enables Gnome to do the right thing when it comes to preventing screen tearing.
    Last edited by sarmad; 20 January 2021, 03:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X