No announcement yet.

MPV Player 0.33 Brings Nearly A Year's Worth Of Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mpv is nice and all but no where near vlc in terms of usability. With smplayer it is ok.
    So many keyboard commandos who want to show how 'leet' they are because they live in the command line..

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      VLC could take centuries to seek, while mpv does so instantly.
      So you're not using hr-seek and are comparing apples to oranges?

Comment

For quick stuff from the CLI, I always use mpv, but when I require more context I use kodi (though sometimes I wish Kodi used mpv internally...)

Comment

I use MPV with SMPlayer. It works way much better than VLC for playing video files, notably 4K, HDR, H265, but it still lacks one thing: MENUS !

Apparently, MPV used to support DVD menus but this was dropped due to not being "clean". When you want to read a DVD/Blu-ray from folder/.iso, VLC is very far better. When you have a DVD with only a few titles, SMPlayer+MPV is usable but when you have a Blu-ray with 60+ different titles in the list (all unnamed) you need a lot of time trying every title before finding the right one. For playlists, no issue with SMPlayer, but for DVD/Blu-ray menus, it is still horrible.

Comment

VLC does some stuff that mpv doesn't (at least to my knowledge), like I can send the audio from a pulseaudio stream over the network, have vlc transcode it so it doesn't take a lot of bandwith and then have vlc on phone play the stream (to be fair, mpv on phone can also play the stream, but I couldn't find a way to save it and I wouldn't want to type the adress every single time). That said, for video playback itself I use mpv almost exclusively.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
              MPV is really great, but I want a little more GUI, so I use Celluloid. But there are things VLC is better at, so I always have that installed as well.
              You can have a really nice UI natively and menu under middle click with UOSC, There's also upcoming Cinema frontend

Comment

Originally posted by Tvashtar View Post

You can have a really nice UI natively and menu under middle click with UOSC, There's also upcoming Cinema frontend
                Or SMPlayer (stable and feature full; originally for MPlayer but it supports MPV also now).

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post

Or SMPlayer (stable and feature full; originally for MPlayer but it supports MPV also now).
                  It has been for at least 3-4 years indeed. I replaced VLC with SMPlayer around 8-9 years ago. Works much better for my workflow.

I started with mplayer then mplayer2, now mpv.

Beware that in SMPlayer, to actually get hardware acceleration (va-api, vdpau, ...), you must not select it as a video ouput driver (should be gpu) but as one of the options of Hardware Decoding in Performance under Decoding.

Comment

Originally posted by HighValueWarrior View Post
                    Mpv is nice and all but no where near vlc in terms of usability. With smplayer it is ok.
                    So many keyboard commandos who want to show how 'leet' they are because they live in the command line..
                    mpv aims to be agnostic to DE, means it supports none of it. Use a frontend that supports your DE, like Celluloid, on Gnome that for example means that stuff like preventing the screensaver during playback will just work.

Comment

SMPlayer is great if you need MPV+GUI

I've been helping the Dev get it working under wayland too

Comment

Working...
                      X