GNOME Work Moving Ahead On Deep Color Support, Triple Buffering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    JackLilhammers Personally I don’t care about customizations. Not for me. But the big distributors want to ship some.

And👏They👏All👏Use👏GNOME

Why you might ask? Because the extension system is a perfect fit for any distributor who want to ship a custom session. The maintenance is low and QA make It work.

Look at Mint who did the opposite and forked big code bases. They are stuck on old code now and can’t keep up. Ubuntu, RHEL, Pop! and others just rebase their GNOME every half year and do simple roundS of QA on their limited set of extensions.

Then there’s old and unmaintained code on github that crazy people assume will fit a fast moving target like GNOME upstream. Darwin has to deal with this level of stupidity.
    Maintenance would be even lower if the basic customization options were integrated in Gnome
    It's not people fault to expect extensions hosted on the official website to work!
    It's Gnome that's sending mixed signals

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
      No need for Windows. The Netflix app on these TVs can play HDR content. Mine can for sure.
      I don't think Amazon Prime has any, don't know about other video streaming services. I don't see many other use cases currently though. Maybe Blu-Ray?
      Some games like Mass Effect Andromeda for example, do support HDR. I think AC Odyssey also supports HDR.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Except for games. My TV can't play my games and they look noticeably better on Windows now. Especially games like Hitman 2 with actual HDR support.

What sucks is knowing that I have an Android TV powered by Linux. It makes me feel all "WTF Googles? Where muh HDR?"
        Reserved for newer products

They just released a USD 50 Chromecast with remote that has a Google/Android TV interface, that supports 4K HDR. Seems pretty good for the price. A nice upgrade from the Nexus Player.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
          I'm not a hard gamer. And owning a RX 560 coupled to a A10-7860K I'm happy when I can play in 1080p... So I wasn't aware there was HDR support in some games.
          Now, to play in 4K with HDR content, I suppose it's not a common use case either, given the hardware prices to get a smooth experience on such a demanding setup. It's still early adopter stuff. Doesn't change the fact that it's unfortunate that you can't take full advantage of it though.
          I run my desktop at 4K and my games between 1080p-2K and let them be upscaled. My 4GB RX 580 said "F-U Dude" to 4K gaming. HDR is there regardless of the resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

Reserved for newer products

They just released a USD 50 Chromecast with remote that has a Google/Android TV interface, that supports 4K HDR. Seems pretty good for the price. A nice upgrade from the Nexus Player.
            I just meant that clearly Linux can support HDR10 since the apps on my Android TV support it and that it'd be nice if Google would throw some HDR patches our way.

Comment

I just meant that clearly Linux can support HDR10 since the apps on my Android TV support it and that it'd be nice if Google would throw some HDR patches our way.
              Well the HDR support has more to do with the GPU drivers, window manager/DE and the applications, rather than core kernel code.

Google's a for-profit company, they're only going to toss in patches that benefit themselves. If we want it for ourselves, we're going to have to drive that work.

Comment

I run my desktop at 4K and my games between 1080p-2K and let them be upscaled. My 4GB RX 580 said "F-U Dude" to 4K gaming. HDR is there regardless of the resolution.
                My bad. I thought it had to do with resolution. And that HDR10 was only possible with 4K.

On my Netflix TV app, from lower quality to best, you have HD > Ultra HD 4K > HDR (as in 4K + HDR10).
                Moreover, "HDR" is the only video format coupled with Dolby Atmos, hence I thought it could only work in the biggest quality (when the file size is the largest).
                Last edited by Mez'; 18 November 2020, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

Well the HDR support has more to do with the GPU drivers, window manager/DE and the applications, rather than core kernel code.

Google's a for-profit company, they're only going to toss in patches that benefit themselves. If we want it for ourselves, we're going to have to drive that work.
                  Yeah, I know. It'd be like asking Sony for their FreeBSD patches that enable all this on Playstations.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                    JackLilhammers The extension app warns against extensions. The website warns against extensions. If these warnings are not enough for you to understand the basics then maybe GNOME should add some accessibility features to explain this to you in a better way.

Do you prefer something like hazard pictogrammes?
                    The mere presence on official software is enough to send a mixed signal.

Also is just a paragraph in the about section of the site.
                    As a user I'm likely to think that if extensions are unsafe, than I should be warned about it and the warning should be pretty visible in the front page!

PS: However I wouldn't rely on those warnings. Users tend to just skip them, as terms and conditions

Comment

Because people are interested in features not provided by design?
                      The fact that users are willing to use old, random crap found on github should be a red flag. But we clearly disagree on this, and that's ok

Comment

Working...
                      X