Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Big Highlights Of Wine 5.0 From FAudio Integration To Vulkan 1.1 + A Ton Of Bug Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Is there any roadmap for the Wine project?
    There is no roadmap any more. Wine project has moved to yearly stable release model. What ever is ready in December goes though stable release process. The old roadmaps use to make the stable release unpredictable for no gain. So wine 6.0 will be dec 2020 start of release process with release sometime in Jan 2021. You can basically just increase the years and version numbers going forwards.

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Is there any page detailing what is fully implemented, what is partially implemented, and what is not implemented?

This is fairly much the wine testsuite results these days. There were pages made that use to attempt to detail what was and was not implement but those turned out to be more incorrect than the test-suite information and the automated translation status extraction.

Originally posted by baka0815 View Post
    Could someone explain why I should want to install a driver in wine so that "Support for installing plug-and-play drivers." would be necessary?
    Copy protection, Anti-cheat and program acceleration drivers that can all be what are called windows plug-and-play drivers. Fun of windows there are lot of drivers that end up installed in windows that have not relationship to hardware they don't appear in device manager and programs don't work without them. Winedevice program in wine was started to run these. Yes most of these drivers that have nothing todo with hardware really don't use any instructions that require them to run in kernel mode yet that exactly where you are running them under windows and does increase windows instability.

Leave a comment:

• Michael_S
    replied
    Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
    when a user will be able to plug a game based on microsoft runniing it without any other instance, then wine will worth the effort.
    For a lot of games, Lutris works pretty well. It's not as easy as running the games on Windows, but it's pretty user-friendly.

Edit: To add some detail, Lutris is a program for managing game installs on Linux. It can handle native Linux games, games through Steam, and games running on Wine.

Leave a comment:

• baka0815
    replied
    Could someone explain why I should want to install a driver in wine so that "Support for installing plug-and-play drivers." would be necessary?

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Is there any roadmap for the Wine project?
    Is there any page detailing what is fully implemented, what is partially implemented, and what is not implemented?

Leave a comment:

• bemerk
    replied
    I dont think the ms store plays that much of a role. We have epic,gog, ubi store, battle net and steam. Many of which work fairly well with wine.

Of course you sometimes have copy protection and anti cheat systems that dont work, but wine is constantly evolving.

Leave a comment:

• Lihis
    replied
    Originally posted by betam4x View Post
    The primary issues where Wine and Proton fall short involve heavy handed anti-cheat/drm as well as games that are installed via the Microsoft store. Compatibility is actually pretty good all things considered. Wine still falls WAAAY short outside of gaming, however. Very few, if any of the Top 100 Windows applications currently run on Wine. None of the newest Adobe products work, for example. Office doesn't work. Visual Studio doesn't work. I could go on...
    Office works but you have to stick with older version like Office 2013. I don't know does Office 2016 already work these days..

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    I'd really like to see the Cuda support from wine staging get promoted to whatever the main wine is called(mainline/stable?). Or any improvements on getting it setup and working so that applications that use it can properly detect it as available(not much info on how to troubleshoot that).

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

For most of the indie games I play, that's already true and, for most of the rest, it's something that an older Windows version would also require, like installing a Visual C++ redistributable... and, on genuine Windows, it's not as simple as winetricks ....

(Though I will admit that it's made a little bit more inscrutable by Wine having incomplete rather than completely missing implementations of said vcredist DLLs, which prevent a clear "could not find foo.dll" message.)
    Are you able to test this two games? Alone in the dark the new nightmare and Tom's Clancy's Splinter Cell? thanks
    Is it not more simple to convert games in linux format? As example: to convert a game as Splinter cell in linux way? A program able to convert games should be useful. A sort of regenerator.
    Last edited by Azrael5; 12 January 2020, 06:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• betam4x
    replied
    Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

For most of the indie games I play, that's already true and, for most of the rest, it's something that an older Windows version would also require, like installing a Visual C++ redistributable... and, on genuine Windows, it's not as simple as winetricks ....

(Though I will admit that it's made a little bit more inscrutable by Wine having incomplete rather than completely missing implementations of said vcredist DLLs, which prevent a clear "could not find foo.dll" message.)
    The primary issues where Wine and Proton fall short involve heavy handed anti-cheat/drm as well as games that are installed via the Microsoft store. Compatibility is actually pretty good all things considered. Wine still falls WAAAY short outside of gaming, however. Very few, if any of the Top 100 Windows applications currently run on Wine. None of the newest Adobe products work, for example. Office doesn't work. Visual Studio doesn't work. I could go on...

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
    when a user will be able to plug a game based on microsoft runniing it without any other instance, then wine will worth the effort.

Last edited by ssokolow; 12 January 2020, 05:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X