GNOME Shell 3.35.2 Begins Launching Spawned Processes Within Systemd Scopes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starshipeleven and oiaohm

Looks like the author of nosh is on github and has an up-to-date nosh repo there -- it's just not advertised anywhere?

The nosh toolset. Contribute to jdebp/nosh development by creating an account on GitHub.

I think he's an old OS/2 guy and is basically a bit of a dinosaur who has been on the internet since its early beginnings (he mentions Usenet and gopher on his website).

I also get the distinct vibe that software quality (in the sense that software follows its specs and does what it says on the tin) is a pet peeve of his. Whether or not this sentiment of mine actually holds up to adversarial scrutiny is not for me to judge.

Here's a recent-ish stackexchange answer of his that might or might not be interesting:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...daemons/476608

EDIT: Hah. The author is old-school enough that he deliberately adds the (usually implicit) '.' to the end of his domain name in the http links in that article. It rare to see that on the modern internet. It also happened to confuse my browser (FF).
    Last edited by ermo; 14 December 2019, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post

Looks like the author of nosh is on github and has an up-to-date nosh repo there -- it's just not advertised anywhere?
      The nosh toolset. Contribute to jdebp/nosh development by creating an account on GitHub.
      That's better but still no cigar. I hate being the "search engine optimization" guy, but it's not going to attract much attention without a Readme in the repo that contains a description (and therefore keywords a search engine can use). His website is more or less impossible to land on from a search engine unless someone is specifically looking for it, also because it is written in notepad and Google frowns on that.

I think he's an old OS/2 guy and is basically a bit of a dinosaur
      More reasons to act quickly. He might not be available for much longer still.
      And as the other guy has said above, without a community of developers and users everything will stop when he quits or dies.
      Last edited by starshipeleven; 14 December 2019, 10:24 AM.

Comment

https://github.com/jdebp/nosh
        Yes that a git repo but no that is not using version control systems like git properly.

When you look here it comes clear. Where are all the individual commits for each feature. This is still like a tar.gz dump. If something goes wrong you have nothing to perform a git bisect with to reduce the amount of code you need to work with.

I think he's an old OS/2 guy and is basically a bit of a dinosaur who has been on the internet since its early beginnings (he mentions Usenet and gopher on his website).

Really version control is very old include how you are meant to use it properly. The basic rules on how to submit to version control effective was set down in 1983 as people started using RCS. Being on OS/2 maybe he was not aware of this. Basic rule is a commit per feature/bug fix at min. If you don't do this it called throwing over the wall.

Using version control properly means I can ask like exactly what lines of code are.

A bug in console-ncurses-realizer that made everything upside down has been fixed.
        This is noted change out of 1.40 nosh. But this is dropped into git as one large commit or tar.gz file.

Throw over wall method like it current is the only commit is 1.40 and a developer with a issue would know have to dig though every line of code. Very time ineffective.

Using version control correctly is also important to long term maintenance by a single developer as well.

I also get the distinct vibe that software quality (in the sense that software follows its specs and does what it says on the tin) is a pet peeve of his. Whether or not this sentiment of mine actually holds up to adversarial scrutiny is not for me to judge.
        The software might appear quality. But in it current style of development is absolute horrible for another developer to attempt to pick up the code and work on it. This is not the only problem with either not doing version control or doing version control wrong.

Nosh is not confirmed to be quality. Tools exist to rate software example Coverity Scan - Static Analysis. Its free for open source project to use and the cost is picked up by the USA military .

This Coverity they can score you code base on how well code it is in fact. Systemd has a decent score and is better than adverage.

Great score is like

Yes absolutely no find-able faults by the scan.

Nosh It don't have a score. This is also the reason why you need todo version control correctly. So that when you integrate in Coverity and it find a bug you can look at the version control information on that line of code when attempting to fix the fault.

Quality software will have metrics you can look at as a non coder and in fact see that is reasonable quality code. Coverity is one of those metrics you would be looking for. To use most of the services to rate code you have to have online version control repository and use it properly.

Please note fix license also helps with using services like Coverity.

1) fix the license.
        2) version control
        3) mailing list/issue tracking some form.

In fact this complete list required before you can really integrate with services like Coverity scan.

I really wish I had metrics on Nosh that said it was quality to get those metrics Nosh need to get its house in order.

Please note its not that I want Nosh to fail. I would like to see it be at least somewhat successful but for that to happen the way it run has to change.

Comment

Working...
        X