Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gbcox
    replied
    You may see ads displayed in certain places across the app. These ads may be from Viber or from third parties. All ab...

Leave a comment:

• paupav
    replied
    Originally posted by gbcox View Post

Yup, telegram is by far the best messaging platform at the current time - just watch how many times whatsapp copies it's features. As far as Viber goes, the fact that it has ads is a non-starter for me - not to mention how it compares to Telegram (as you mentioned).

On the numbers the last update I've seen is 200. They should be about ready to post an update.
    idk where those ads are.

Leave a comment:

• gbcox
    replied
    Originally posted by dfyt View Post

We experimented with Viber for 6 months. It just wasn't up to scratch compared to Telegram. Telegram uses way less battery, appeared significantly more redundant with uploads of images, the API via BOTS, Cloud backed, 2GB file limits, video streaming, large groups, secret chats, image search within app etc. all made it an easy decision for my staff to use. When we plan cross country flights with my fellow pilots, we ALL use Telegram and it hasn't let us down. Some tried Viber and WhatsApp but by day 3 of the marathon saw those apps just don't compete. If you want compromised use WhatsApp.

As for numbers, I recall seeing over 400 mil users but couldn't find the link hence me posting 200.
    Yup, telegram is by far the best messaging platform at the current time - just watch how many times whatsapp copies it's features. As far as Viber goes, the fact that it has ads is a non-starter for me - not to mention how it compares to Telegram (as you mentioned).

On the numbers the last update I've seen is 200. They should be about ready to post an update.

Leave a comment:

• dfyt
    replied
    Originally posted by paupav View Post

if we wanna talk about alternatives to matrix i believe viber is the best. cyprus based, japanese owned company. telegram is compromised in my opinion.
    We experimented with Viber for 6 months. It just wasn't up to scratch compared to Telegram. Telegram uses way less battery, appeared significantly more redundant with uploads of images, the API via BOTS, Cloud backed, 2GB file limits, video streaming, large groups, secret chats, image search within app etc. all made it an easy decision for my staff to use. When we plan cross country flights with my fellow pilots, we ALL use Telegram and it hasn't let us down. Some tried Viber and WhatsApp but by day 3 of the marathon saw those apps just don't compete. If you want compromised use WhatsApp.

As for numbers, I recall seeing over 400 mil users but couldn't find the link hence me posting 200.

Leave a comment:

• gbcox
    replied
    With that attitude Telegram will never grow. What do you use WhatsApp? The app owned by Facebook? Yes 100 000 000 users is small compared to WhatsApp but vs others? The mere fact my number is hidden from groups and groups AUTO MUTE. Groups can also be put PROPERLY to silent not like WhatsApp in your face half baked mute. What WhatsApp is to SMS is what Telegram is to WhatsApp. Heck travelling through Africa, I couldn't even send SMS's yet my Telegrams when through. WhatsApp good luck with EDGE...
    Actually the number as of March 2018 was double that. Which goes back to my original point that the choice of an IM isn't an individual decision - and what sets Telegram apart is their resolve to support most platforms natively.

Within the last 30 days, Telegram was used by 200 million people. This is an insane number by any standards. If Telegram were a country, it would have been the sixth largest country in the world.

Leave a comment:

• paupav
    replied
    With that attitude Telegram will never grow. What do you use WhatsApp? The app owned by Facebook? Yes 100 000 000 users is small compared to WhatsApp but vs others? The mere fact my number is hidden from groups and groups AUTO MUTE. Groups can also be put PROPERLY to silent not like WhatsApp in your face half baked mute. What WhatsApp is to SMS is what Telegram is to WhatsApp. Heck travelling through Africa, I couldn't even send SMS's yet my Telegrams when through. WhatsApp good luck with EDGE...
    if we wanna talk about alternatives to matrix i believe viber is the best. cyprus based, japanese owned company. telegram is compromised in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• dfyt
    replied

If your colleagues are KGB agents, then maybe it is ok to use telegram, but for everyone else Telegram is non-starter due to still small user base.
    If your colleagues are from open source communities such as KDE and Gnome then you should use Matrix.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied

No audio and video calls?
    There's a component for Delta that allows that.

Leave a comment:

• gbcox
    replied

If your colleagues are KGB agents, then maybe it is ok to use telegram, but for everyone else Telegram is non-starter due to still small user base.
    If your colleagues are from open source communities such as KDE and Gnome then you should use Matrix.
    I've never quite understood why people post nonsense in forums. It is easily dis-proven by a quick google search, not amusing and really distracts from any serious debate. Kind of sad actually....
    Why do people say such nasty things online? The online context often leads people to perceive it differently than face-to-face interaction. Unfortunately, this can result in some disinhibited and hurtful posting. This article investigates several factors that explain why people post offensive comments on social media and other outlets.

Leave a comment:

• paupav
    replied
    Originally posted by gbcox View Post

I'm keeping an open mind about Matrix - but as I mentioned before when it comes to IM you have to take into consideration what your friends and colleagues use - and at this point it's pretty much a non-starter. Telegram remains the best compromise for Linux - it is a GPLv3 based client and has a relatively large user base.

As far as the KGB is concerned - you're misinformed. Telegram has nothing to do with Russia - quite to the contrary, it's banned in Russia due to the fact that Telegram refused to hand over it's encryption keys.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X