GNOME On Wayland Is No Longer Frustratingly Slow With ASpeed Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pepec9124 View Post

There is no need for people to understand how X11 works, with DRI 3 we have tear free experience, VNC works, hell it's even stable. Problem with Wayland is that compositors have way more things to do than before which leads to situation in which we are right now: GNOME more or less working and KDE mostly glitchy mess.
    KDE works just fine on Wayland... There are only minor issues, like some misplaced menu's or some flickering in apps like Kmail, but other than that it work fine like Gnome on Wayland. There are even common bugs like some Vulkan apps require to run in window mode with boarders to show output, but there we are just waiting for an overdue xorg release. If your experience was that bad with Plasma Wayland please be a little specific. On all my systems it is very stable. As far as I know Wayland helped to improve X11 on Plasma a lot, the assumption that more work equals bad is just wrong, the developments helped to improve the hole platform.
    Last edited by R41N3R; 05 January 2019, 07:31 AM.

Comment

This year will be the year of "Linux Wayland Desktop" ™

:P

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

KDE works just fine on Wayland... There are only minor issues, like some misplaced menu's or some flickering in apps like Kmail, but other than that it work fine like Gnome on Wayland.
        I tried it, misplaced popups, menus, flickering, full compositor freezes, crash on logout, incorrectly sized cursor, flickering cursor, cursor stopping at edges which has been fixed. Enjoy beta testing, I did my fair share of bug reports. Oh, and teamviewer functionality, relative cursor position in games, and don't tell me that it's because of XWayland, or I'm going to start laughing.

That's only things I can think about right now, listing more would require me to login to wayland session, surely it's ready for everyday Joe, until his screen freezes.

I only hope that no distro will ship it as default before feature parity or users will get angry. Also Nvidia can go fuck themselves, all that talk about GBM alternatives and then they offer to write patches for kwin.
        Last edited by Pepec9124; 05 January 2019, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
          I can't wait for Android to adopt Xorg.
          Nobody gives a shit about a mobile OS.

Comment

There are only minor issues, like some misplaced menu's
            "minor issues".

Comment

I'm running gnome3 with wayland some time now and it works "ok". The only major issue I have is qemu/virtual manager mouse going invisible. I just switch to X when I need to use a VM there, sucks but it's not a "daily" thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I can't wait for Android to adopt Xorg.
                Won't happen. Too many work involved when they are actually shifting work towards Fuchsia, which already runs on some more devices now and has picked up Android app support, so it clearly is going to replace Android eventually.

Comment

KDE works just fine on Wayland... There are only minor issues, like some misplaced menu's or some flickering in apps like Kmail, but other than that it work fine like Gnome on Wayland. There are even common bugs like some Vulkan apps require to run in window mode with boarders to show output, but there we are just waiting for an overdue xorg release. If your experience was that bad with Plasma Wayland please be a little specific. On all my systems it is very stable. As far as I know Wayland helped to improve X11 on Plasma a lot, the assumption that more work equals bad is just wrong, the developments helped to improve the hole platform.
                  KDE is still crashing here after opening up Dolphin and the panel context menu, nor the panel itself, are working. And this on 2017/2018 hardware with Intel-only graphics (no other GPU present).

Comment

Originally posted by Auzy View Post
                    Cripple your workflow? If you're talking about code development, no it wont.. Text editors are easy to port.
                    Well, text editors can even be used under XWayland. The main problem is that you have to run them on something, and I'm still waiting to see a full-functional Wayland compositor with tiling mode. The closest thing is Sway, but it still got usability problems (like, no tray-icons for XWayland apps, no per-window keyboard layout for which I btw sent a pull-request some months ago). The worst part is that it's written in C, overloaded with global variables, and on top of that it got no test-suite whatsoever, because the creator didn't like existing ones, and decided to not have any at all. So, the last time I run the git version, swaybar crashed on me, and I moved on. Good luck them, really, but it's not something I'd like to participate in.

Another tiling compositor to look forward is Way-Cooler, and it's written in Rust. However nowadays it's still very bare-bones, small number of contributors, IMO long way before turning into something I could use everyday.
                    Last edited by Hi-Angel; 05 January 2019, 06:23 PM. Reason: formatting

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post

Well, text editors can even be used under XWayland. The main problem is that you have to run them on something, and I'm still waiting to see a full-functional Wayland compositor with tiling mode. The closest thing is Sway, but it still got usability problems (like, no tray-icons for XWayland apps, no per-window keyboard layout for which I btw sent a pull-request some months ago). The worst part is that it's written in C, overloaded with global variables, and on top of that it got no test-suite whatsoever, because the creator didn't like existing ones, and decided to not have any at all. So, the last time I run the git version, swaybar crashed on me, and I moved on. Good luck them, really, but it's not something I'd like to participate in.

Another tiling compositor to look forward is Way-Cooler, and it's written in Rust. However nowadays it's still very bare-bones, small number of contributors, IMO long way before turning into something I could use everyday.
                      I dont disagree.. It still needs work (I can't even use Wayland because I'm on Nvidia). Once Nvidia sorts their crap out though, I think though, we'll see more development guided towards Wayland. Even though I don't trust AMD's drivers, I'm tempted to buy AMD simply because Nvidia's actions have been a bit weird..

Comment

Working...
                      X